Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Concrete Deck Enhancement -- Suggestions?

1. Back To Top    #1

Concrete Deck Enhancement -- Suggestions?

Hi all. I'm whiling away the time before I can open here in Michigan but thought this year I might consider enhancing the concrete deck on my formerly foreclosed and neglected haven

The concrete is not bad, one small crack/lift area. I've ordered a new powerwasher and brush to get it clean for likely the first time in a decade this season.

But I'm looking at Cool Deck, as a DIY, acid wash stain as a DIY or maybe a thin decorative layer of that acrylic rehab stuff (contractor here charges 3.25 per SF...I have 600 SF of concrete.

I'd love to hear from folks who've done something to dress up an existing concrete surround and am open to all ideas. I especially welcome product suggestions, caveats about wear, longevity, etc.

While I'd love to rip It all out and just put in kentucky bluestone, a very large metal roof project in my future means that's not likely to happen.

I'll try to dig up a pic to give you an idea of the area - thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Here are some pics from last spring...you will notice I get a ton of debris from the terrace, which to some degree plays in in terms of choices

image.jpg

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Concrete Deck Enhancement -- Suggestions?

SO pretty! I love the look you have going on there---relaxing and pretty!

I bet the power washer and some bleach will do a world of good for it overall. I have no input on the other stuff.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Very pretty....we have the same pool and trees. I pressure wash each year. It really makes a difference. After you do the pressure washing you may reconsider upgrading...although it's a dream of mine too.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

4. Back To Top    #4

That's a nice place you got there!

I have no direct experience with concrete resurfacing. But this Encore product has always looked interesting.
    Cool Pool Deck Paint | Concrete Cooling Finish | Encore Coatings

more here, Pool deck choices

And here, Concrete pool deck paint/sealant question
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    That's a nice place you got there!

I have no direct experience with concrete resurfacing. But this Encore product has always looked interesting.
    Cool Pool Deck Paint | Concrete Cooling Finish | Encore Coatings

more here, Pool deck choices

And here, Concrete pool deck paint/sealant question

I just put this Cool! product on a couple of weeks ago and I love how it turned out. You can pick your own color! (warning, it's not cheap though).

15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

That cool deck looks pretty sweet. Was your coping already cement, or did you paint over regular coping?
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    Helpful Links:

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Swampwoman View Post
    That cool deck looks pretty sweet. Was your coping already cement, or did you paint over regular coping?
    It was already cement. I have no idea how the stuff would take to another material such as a different coping material but someone else asked me the same thing and he said he was gonna try it. If I hear back I'll let you know!
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

Does anyone know if exposed aggregate can be added in a thin coat to existing concrete?
    Helpful Links: