Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New here and pool owner as well

1. Back To Top    #1

New here and pool owner as well

We just bought the home with the pool and the pump dies 3/4 way through closing. Knew it was bad but not going to die. Well was looking at a Hayward VS 1.5 hp but was wondering if you can mismatch with pentair systems( as this is what mine has)

I am going to order test kit but wanted to get pump going to circulate water first. Is this a good direction to go? We are going to be in the 80's from here out it looks so any thoughts please feel free to let me have it.

Thanks all and this is a really nice place for some needed info.
    In ground pool and was built in 2000 and is concrete I am guessing. It measures 14.5 wide and 24 long. It is not square nor rectangular. I have pictures if needed and can always take more. It is a Pentair system with propane heater Purex Triton, with Pentair filter ( cartridge) with a 1.5 hp sf1.1 pump( that is getting replaced) Will be new Pentair vs pump/motor 342000/01( on it's way here now) and test kit TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New here and pool owner as well

Hi! You are at the right place to have control of your pool and wallet. Saying that you need to go ahead and order the test kit as it will take a couple of days to get there. Better to have it as soon as possible to see what you are working with water wise.

For you pool right now.........how does the water look? Is it clear? a swamp?

If it is clear you can buy a cheap sub pump from Harbor Freight to move the water around while you wait on your new pump. You can buy what ever pump you want as far as brand. You might have to do some pipe changes but......it can be done.

V.S. or 2 speed for your pump. It all depends on what you want to do with your pump. I have a two speed pump. For everyday use I keep it on low speed. When I have the cleaner in I use the high speed. It saves on the power bill that way. The V.S. pump allows your even more control.

Share your pictures with us. We LOVE pictures!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

Yes, it is fine to mix equipment brands as long as you aren't using pool automation. Automation doesn't talk well, or at all sometimes, between brands.

If you want a Pentair 1-1/2 hp VS option here is a good one, Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

l5e456c45-m2xd-w640_h480_q80.jpgPump Equip.jpgOther pic of pool.jpg

Thanks for the support and information..Here a few pics, but leaves are having babies in the pool
    In ground pool and was built in 2000 and is concrete I am guessing. It measures 14.5 wide and 24 long. It is not square nor rectangular. I have pictures if needed and can always take more. It is a Pentair system with propane heater Purex Triton, with Pentair filter ( cartridge) with a 1.5 hp sf1.1 pump( that is getting replaced) Will be new Pentair vs pump/motor 342000/01( on it's way here now) and test kit TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Very nice. Wow, that water looks great.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you, it looks good but has quite a few leaves in it and a lot of dust when I tried to sweep them up. It is why I stopped and was asking about the pump.

It has 2 drains in the deep end with 6 pop ups All plumbing is 2 in so that is nice.

The previous owner did take good care of it when she could she told us.

Just ordered the test kit...Thanks again all

7. Back To Top    #7

I love the plaster color!

Where are you on the pump? Will you rebuild it or order a new one? I would HATE to see ANY algae in that pretty pool. Make sure to keep your chlorine up some how-------maybe add half a bottle of plain bleach aka chlorine and brush and brush. If have or can get a sub pump you can use that to help mix in the chlorine/bleach.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Kim and will try that at it has been nearly 45 days since any water movement( besides me sweeping it).

I will dump some bleach in and swirl it. I will be ordering the pump tomorrow and will keep all posted on updates.

Thanks again for all the help and the pump is a sweet price for that one pooldv. Thanks bunches

9. Back To Top    #9

You are heading in the right direction now! Test kit and new pump on the way!

Which test kit did you get? Make sure to add it to your siggy so everyone will know you have one when they read your posts.

Kim

10. Back To Top    #10

Pump will be here next Wed so that is great news( for me) Test kit was shipped so should be here by the weekend.

Kim got the the t100 is it??? It was 68.

Next is get screen guy's out to fix screen( not a job for an electrician)

11. Back To Top    #11

You got the best test kit out there with the TF-100! Nice job! Add it to to your siggy so everyone will know what test kit you have.

Kim