Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air in filter/ DE in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Yucaipa, California

Air in filter/ DE in pool

I have a half new half old Pentair SMBW 4060 filter. When the pump is running there are no visible leaks. When pump shuts off you can here air coming into filter. It's a slow sputter sound. Slow enough where DE will come back into pool but pump never loses prime.
    When pump comes on in the morning of coures there is a big gurgle of air that comes into pool with sometimes a trace of DE through the retuns. Once air purges there is no noticable bubbles through returns.

Have had the bottom of filter, a few grids, and the gasket changed. Any ideas?
    15K gal gunite/ plaster w/spa. 3hp Pentair vairable spd pump. Pentair SMBW4060 filter. Pentair heater. Polairas 260 sweep.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Air in filter/ DE in pool

I get that sometimes and it's from the air bleed on top. Sometimes I check it and it doesn't want to close right and sometimes it's smooth as can be. Things deform under pressure so I suspect something gets sealed tighter by pressure and then starts sucking air when it's off. Stretch a balloon over the air outlet and see if it gets sucked in overnight.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!