Salt readings

I just had my pool liner replaced(I ground approx 26,500 gal.I put in 18X40lbs of salt.)Pool temp is 60 degrees and on a test strip it reads 1600 but on my Hayward generator it reads 3400.also I started generating today and have it on and panel reads 60% and stays there and does not return back to salt reading.Any help would be appriciated.
Thank you,
Tom

Doing the math backwards on this if you added 18 40# bags your AquaRite is reading the salt very accurately. You should be right around that 3400 ppm mark based on the 18 bags in to fresh water.

Yes you are correct on that but why when I check salt on a test strip I'm reading 1600.
tom

It is possible for those strips to go bad if they are not stored properly or get exposed to high humidity. Strips are not very accurate. The Taylor K-1766 is the most accurate method for determining chloride (Cl-) levels. Since the math lines up with what your SWG is saying, then your strips are highly suspect.

I once tested strips at the same time against my preferred drop test and the strips were wayyyyy off. Like half the value. And they were brand new! I just don't trust them and stick with the Taylor's salt test.

Is the SWG producing chlorine yet? If its happy.... you can be too ;)

We get calls for this quite often. A customer will test with their strips or a pool store and see a different reading and become concerned. The bad thing is when the calibrate the system based off of the inaccurate reading. It can cause a lot of confusion. Of course sometimes the system will truly need to calibrated but more often than not it is an issue the test or there is very little difference in the readings to begin with (under 300 ppm).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.