Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hello from Gilbert AZ

1. Back To Top    #1

Hello from Gilbert AZ

Hello,

I grew up with a vinyl pool in Northern CA, however I just did whatever my dad told me to do..which most of the time kept the water decent looking but I didn't understand what was going on. Fast forward to adulthood and now I just re located to AZ into a new build (Both house and pool) I've added the pool specs to my signature.

Luckily I found this site, my new pool has been up and running for a few months now without trouble however I wanted to better understand the chemistry so I started lurking here. Luckily I read about the CYA build up that happens with trichlor and was able to just use the pucks until yesterday, when I tested the CYA at 40 and switched to liquid chlorine.

I do still have one question though: My pool came with a quick pure 3 Ozone, I know people on this site are not a fan, however seeing as it is there already I was wondering how this should affect my target chlorine levels? Should I just ignore it and leave any sanitation it performs as a safety net or should I take advantage and run slightly less chlorine?

Thanks!
    11,507 Gallons | In Ground Pebble Tec | QC XHP In Ground Cleaning System | System 3 MM Sta-Rite Filter | Pentair VS-T 3050 Pump | Pentair Ultra Temp 120 H/C | QuickPure 3 Ozone | K2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hello from Gilbert AZ

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

More on ozone here, Alternative sanitizers and pools--The Truth!!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the link, I have also searched the site about it, so it sounds like I should just ignore it, I see no reason to disconnect it (do you guys?) but I'll pretend it's not there.
    11,507 Gallons | In Ground Pebble Tec | QC XHP In Ground Cleaning System | System 3 MM Sta-Rite Filter | Pentair VS-T 3050 Pump | Pentair Ultra Temp 120 H/C | QuickPure 3 Ozone | K2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, ignore it is fine. I don't know how much electricity it uses or if it is worth turning it off.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

When I do my next filter tear down, in a few weeks, I'm going to disconnect it just so it's not drawing extra power. I've already choked off the tubing, and I ordered a replacement plug for the pump hole that the tubing runs to.

If it's really new, you might be able to sell it to a spa owner.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

I was thinking that, or keep as a spare for the one in my Spa... It's only been used for 3 months.

I read somewhere it is good at killing Giardia and a few other things in the water, I'm not sure if this is worth keeping it for (not sure how much would end up in water on it's own) but if it's true I might be interested to keep the dogs safe. (Understanding it has no residual, but the pool is running 24x7)

One more thing, I also have a stand alone Spa, I don't see too much information on Spa specific care...am I missing a post/article or should I just apply the same rules taking temperature into account?

7. Back To Top    #7

Ozone is actually fairly useful in hot tubs.

Here is how I maintain my hot tub. Has worked great for a couple of years.
    How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks!

That's useful, I'm going to keep using the Chlorinating Granules I have for now, then it will probably be time to drain and refill anyway..it will be nice only using liquid chlorine / bleach for both pool and Spa instead of stocking different forms of chlorine for each.

9. Back To Top    #9

the pool pump runs 24/7?
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeChris View Post
    the pool pump runs 24/7?
    Yeah its setup to run most of the day at low speed then kick up for a cleaning at night.