Free water from the sky!

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
It's been a while since we had some good rainfall in SoCal. The last storm delivered about 3/4". But by using the raingutter downspout extension I added closer to 2½" of Calcium-free water to my pool. And now it is dumping again, faster than I can pump it out via a garden hose. A small percentage change, but at least the CH is going down for a change!

Congrats, personally I am dreading the rain in the forecast for this week, even though we need it, as we have over 7 inches of rain in the forecast over the next 3 days. I know the grass growth is going to really take off even more after that, and at the moment I am in the middle of repairing the riding mower.

Ike

I'm right with you Richard.. I did a DE Backflush of the filter a couple days ago in anticipation of the rain. During the backflush, I accidentally took the water level down to the edge of the skimmer. I'm now about an inch from my normal water level.

That's great Richard. We STILL have standing water in wooded areas after our 1000 year flood in October here in Columbia sc. We got 20+ inches in 72 hours. I wish I could have shared :)

AimeeH that is a once every couple of year event here, if you want to talk bad rain in short period of time, we had one here about 5 years ago with 12 inches of rain in about 8 hours. I had over over 3 feet of water on my privacy fence in the back yard (measured the high water mark later), and water came close to getting in the house even though it is part way up a gentle hill. Had to wade through knee deep water to get from my truck in the driveway to the front door of the house (side door which has 4 steps to ground level almost had water coming in) I have never had standing water on my fence before or sense (at least not more than 5 or 6 inches). Numerous 40-50 year old houses that had never flooded in town flooded that day. Driving home from work that day the there was a stop sign on one of the crossings of the divided highway that was barely sticking out of the water and water was flowing across my lane about 6 inches deep for around half a mile (I was no where near a creek or river, there was just that much water draining from everywhere). To make it worse that was part of one of those 20 inches of rain in 72 hour weeks.

Being from the wet part of the country I wish I could send it your way!

I've drained about 2 feet of over-fill rain water incrementally since last october.

With this week's weather I'll be draining down again by saturday.

I would gladly send you some of mine. I've taken 8" of water off the pool this week. I want to do a SLAM but it won't quit raining. The pool wasn't clear when I pulled the solar cover off and swept the sides. But I don't know if it's blown in dirt or beginnings of something else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.