Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Free water from the sky!

1. Back To Top    #1

Free water from the sky!

It's been a while since we had some good rainfall in SoCal. The last storm delivered about 3/4". But by using the raingutter downspout extension I added closer to 2" of Calcium-free water to my pool. And now it is dumping again, faster than I can pump it out via a garden hose. A small percentage change, but at least the CH is going down for a change!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Free water from the sky!

Congrats!
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

3. Back To Top    #3

Congrats, personally I am dreading the rain in the forecast for this week, even though we need it, as we have over 7 inches of rain in the forecast over the next 3 days. I know the grass growth is going to really take off even more after that, and at the moment I am in the middle of repairing the riding mower.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm right with you Richard.. I did a DE Backflush of the filter a couple days ago in anticipation of the rain. During the backflush, I accidentally took the water level down to the edge of the skimmer. I'm now about an inch from my normal water level.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

That's great Richard. We STILL have standing water in wooded areas after our 1000 year flood in October here in Columbia sc. We got 20+ inches in 72 hours. I wish I could have shared
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

AimeeH that is a once every couple of year event here, if you want to talk bad rain in short period of time, we had one here about 5 years ago with 12 inches of rain in about 8 hours. I had over over 3 feet of water on my privacy fence in the back yard (measured the high water mark later), and water came close to getting in the house even though it is part way up a gentle hill. Had to wade through knee deep water to get from my truck in the driveway to the front door of the house (side door which has 4 steps to ground level almost had water coming in) I have never had standing water on my fence before or sense (at least not more than 5 or 6 inches). Numerous 40-50 year old houses that had never flooded in town flooded that day. Driving home from work that day the there was a stop sign on one of the crossings of the divided highway that was barely sticking out of the water and water was flowing across my lane about 6 inches deep for around half a mile (I was no where near a creek or river, there was just that much water draining from everywhere). To make it worse that was part of one of those 20 inches of rain in 72 hour weeks.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Being from the wet part of the country I wish I could send it your way!

I've drained about 2 feet of over-fill rain water incrementally since last october.

With this week's weather I'll be draining down again by saturday.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would gladly send you some of mine. I've taken 8" of water off the pool this week. I want to do a SLAM but it won't quit raining. The pool wasn't clear when I pulled the solar cover off and swept the sides. But I don't know if it's blown in dirt or beginnings of something else.
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90