New build in Iowa

ia_soxfan

In The Industry
Mar 7, 2016
Iowa
Hello everyone,

We are excited pool rookies beginning a build here in Iowa within the next couple of weeks. It is going to be an 18x28 liner pool with a 6x9 shelf and liner over steel steps. There are two skimmers and anywhere between 3 & 5 returns. We have been analyzing the design and layout for quite a few months and are happy with this setup. It's about as big as it can be as we already have a large patio and fireplace in our backyard. We have decided on the GLI onyx liner full floor, black returns, skimmers and main drain. We are also getting an automatic cover. The equipment specs are:

Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump
Pentair 420 SQ FT Cartridge Filter
250k BTU Pentair Heater
Pentair Easy Touch Automation with Screen Logic & IC40 salt cell system
(2) Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED Lights
2" SCH40 PVC throughout

Please take a look at our plan and offer any advise or criticism you may have. Our builder and ourselves believe that two lights will be needed even with a smaller pool like ours, being that we have a darker liner. We have had the discussion with our builder on maybe putting a return-style light (I think called glow bright?) somewhere around the steps as well. Pool Plan 2.27.jpg

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool!

"As big as it can be" is the right size! :) I would move both lights to the same side of the pool facing away from the house and main seating areas to avoid glare. Make sure the skimmers are on the downwind side of the prevailing winds for spring and fall. Equipment looks good.

Pooldv is right on in the placement of the lights. I have a small pool and both mine are in the wall closest to the house. The last thing you want is to look out at the pool and have a light staring you in the face. If you will have colored LED lights my only concern would be how that will look with the dark liner. Good choice on a SWCG. You are going to love it. Dont forget to order a test kit and get a speedstir. It makes testing a breeze. Good luck and post some pics as you progress.

The pool is actually situated more in front of our garage (attached to our house) as the main patio area takes up a large portion of the house. That's why we thought the lighting would be ok in this setup. Our builder did mention just the other day that if we wanted to move the ledge side light to the middle of the deep end that we could do that, as the step side of the pool is what will be running parallel with the house / garage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.