Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Reoccuring Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Unhappy Reoccuring Algae

Hi All,

Over the last couple of months I have had trouble keeping my pool clear for any great lengths of time. I have performed the SLAM process about 3 times in the past 2 months due to it starting to turn green and I'm baffled.

Every time, I follow the SLAM procedure exactly as it stated, the water clears up nice (after about a week) and it passes the OCLT and looks great, so I let the chlorine drift back down to the recommended level... and its fine for about another 1-2 weeks, then it seems the as the FC gets to just under 7 , it will start turning again, and I have to go through the whole process again.

My test results today are

FC: 7
    CC : 0.5
    pH: 7.8
    TA: 100
    CH: 300
    CYA: 60

with these results today my pool is again starting to turn slightly cloudy, and its been about a week since I stopped the last SLAM process after meeting all the criteria, the FC has drifted itself back down to this level

Becoming a headache I would rather do without sadly

Any ideas or advise?
    Thanks
    3yr old 60,000L (15.8k Gal) Fibreglass IG, Viron eVo P600 pump, Hayward Pro Series Filter (glass media), Zodiac SWG, Zodiac VX55 4WD, Solar Heated

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Reoccuring Algae

well it looks like your doing very good, I would say your CYA is a little higher than you think.. With a CYA of 70 you need to stay above 5fc at all times... but you want to target 7 if you can..

It sounds like your CYA may be 70 or 80 and your FC keeps dipping below 5/6 fc and you get a bloom..

The only other thing I can think of is greenies still in the skimmer, light, stairs, rocks, etc....

recommend you keep you FC above 7 at all times and target 9 and see what that does
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Casey has you covered. I would look all around your pool for hiding places like the light (take it out and clean inside the hole if there is one), returns, skimmer box including the door, etc. Use a toothbrush to make sure you get everywhere. One person found a crack in their skimmer door that was a purrfect breeding ground for algae.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I agree with Kim and Casey- I think there must be some hidden algae and/or higher CYA than you think. When you are passing the OCLT, that tiny big of leftover algae might be allowing you to pass the OCLT only to multiply again when the FC drops. The hot weather only compounds this unfortunately!

The other thing to rule out is that to ensure that at no time is your FC dropping below the minimum and with the warm weather you have to be extra vigilant with testing to make sure your SWG is keeping up, especially when a Perth heat wave hits
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

5. Back To Top    #5

Lots of good advice here. I agree with keeping your FC a little higher to see if that helps. It won't hurt anything and it is safe to swim with FC up to SLAM level for your CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

What are you using for testing?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi All,

Thank for your replies.

I have tested the CYA multiple times using the TF-100 and also another local kit with similar results so I don't think its CYA.

I'll have to have a look at the lights, although figuring that out is going to be tricky,

I also have in/outlets for the solar at the deep end of the pool, don't think i'd be able to look around there.
    3yr old 60,000L (15.8k Gal) Fibreglass IG, Viron eVo P600 pump, Hayward Pro Series Filter (glass media), Zodiac SWG, Zodiac VX55 4WD, Solar Heated

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Your light should hopefully be held in by a screw which you can undo by leaning over the edge of the pool and then the light should pop out which if properly installed you can unwind the cable and sit the light on the deck of the pool. Scrubbing behind the light and around the light niche once you have pulled it out could possibly help. (My first SLAM involved large strands of algae behind the light fitting which was holding up completion of the SLAM)!!

Don't forget to turn off the power source to the light when you do this!
    11 000 gallons, IG, Fibreglass, Monarch Sand Filter, Davey Typhoon C100M 1HP pump, Davey Chloromatic Mc16CTO ESR SWG, Davey Pool Wall Climba Robot, Daisy Solar Cover,
    K-2006

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you run the solar every day or two to refresh the water in the pipes?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon