Last year I posted about my problem of wanting to convert to chlorine an outdoor bromine pool that had full sun. Had interesting replies (thanks to you all) but the final, unanswered question was this...
'If I now add chlorine shock AND chlorine tablets to the feeder, I'm wondering if, in time, I'd convert it to chlorine - or if not (if it stayed as bromine) would it be easier to control with the chlorine tablets, rather than with the more expensive and huge bromine needs?'
Well, eight months later, through a very sunny winter here in southern France, I've been doing just that. I have added no bromine, only chlorine - when I shock with normal, undramatic levels of shock, up go the levels to around 8ppm - without shock down they go two days later to around 0.5ppm. So what if I continue to refuse to use bromine and keep this regime?!
I know the answer is really to empty the pool and start again with chlorine, but the problem with that is the water goes straight into the neighbours vineyard - not a pretty site! Any ideas out there?