Jandy stealth won't prime

Hi all. So I vacuumed my pool today and all was normal. I turned off the pump and cleand the strainer. When I turned pump back on I had no prime. After searching I took cap of strainer and filled strainer and pipe with a hose, put lid back I and started pump water came out for 1-2 seconds then dry again. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks

During the vacuum, is there any chance that you sucked-up anything that could be blocking water to the pump? That might be one thing to consider. If not, and if you are sure water flow is not impeded, and all you did was vacuum like normal then remove the pump strainer basket lid, then simply fill it back-up and try again for about 1 minute or so. Let it sit for a couple minutes and try it again. Try that a few times. Now some folks will let it try to pull water for 3-5 minutes, but others are not comfortable running it dry that long.

For me personally, I was so frustrated once when I lost prime after some maintenance and nothing worked, that I walked way for about 10 minutes. When I cam back and tried again, it pulled the water right in. Go figure. Sometimes they can be a bit temperamental. :brickwall:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and don't forget to all-important .... OOPS! I forgot to re-open one of my valves. I did that before too. :)

Putting a hose on the pump basket (clear lid) may only tell you if you have a bad lid seal (suction side leak). That's always possible if when reattaching your lid, and the O-ring didn't seat properly. Of course you don't want to try and operate the pump with the lid off. We only fill it full (pump strainer basket) when the system is off to help create a better vacuum and give it something to work with as it tries to pull water from the remainder of the suction line.

If you don't see results after trying the following:
- Check for suction-side leaks (especially around the pump strainer basket O-ring)
- Closed valves
- Suction-side obstruction
- Run pump for about 3 minutes on its own
- Try filling strainer basket with water (replace lid), run for about 30 seconds; stop; refill and try again a couple times
- Try running pump for about 1-2 minutes then let system sit for about 5-10 minutes; try again.

Then post back or update your profile signature with all of your pool and equipment info. There may be something peculiar to your system set-up that may help us solve this one.

You can add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

When we suspect something may be blocking the suction line, you can try:
- A garden hose from both directions (the poolside skimmer then the pump strainer basket). If you need additional pressure (seal around the hose) there are products like "Drain King" or bladders that help provide that seal.
- Try a plumber's snake from each direction

Those methods typically have the most success pushing-out anything that may have gotten stuck in the PVC. While pushing water from the poolside skimmer with a garden hose may seem like a good way to encourage water flow, remember the sheer nature of the hose is also obstructing flow of water through the pipe, so that's not always an ideal way to prime. If you've tried everything listed in post #5, try to give us some more details about your equipment and pool, to include if there is any significant elevation difference between the pump and pool, and we'll go from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.