Purchasing a new filter this year

GenericHbomb

Oct 3, 2015
Rochester, NY
Hey guys,

So I bought a house with an inground (18x36 - approx. 22k-25k gallons) pool last July.
Since I inherited the pool mid-summer from some careless owners I spent the majority of the summer learning here and righting their wrongs.
This year my goal is to have a much better pool experience as I will have control of everything from the start.

Towards the end of last year the sand filter was spitting a lot of sand into the pool and since I do not know the age of the filter I would prefer to purchase a new one.
Most posts and topics I see focus on the differences between DE, sand and cartridge which is nice but I want to get a little deeper into it so I know I am making the best purchase.

I am not 100% sure what information I need to provide so I will provide what I can think of. If you need more information, let me know and I will provide it.

Pool is inground
18x36 and approx. 25k gallons
Pool is freshwater
I reside in the North East
My yard has two pine trees and a couple of walnut trees. The pines do shade the pool a little and I found algae was a little difficult to control last year, in part because I came in mid-season and didn't quite understand chemicals yet. By the time I closed it was clean.
I live in a suburban area. I do not see a lot of dust or the like and am protected with a fenced-in yard
I have a single feed to the pump at the top of the pool(no feed underwater in the deep end) and a single line going into the pool at the shallow end
My pump is 1hp and is an Emerson 1081 Pool Motor
I will be covering the pool when not in use with a solar cover
I use chlorine

Just looking for thoughts on size of the filter and such mostly. I don't really have a bias towards any particular filtering method at this point in my pool care career but cost does play a factor.
Hopefully you guys can help steer me in the right direction

Towards the end of last year the sand filter was spitting a lot of sand into the pool and since I do not know the age of the filter I would prefer to purchase a new one.
More than likely a broken lateral which can be fixed if interested.

Sand filters tend to be a little easier when opening a pool from winter since they can be easily and repeated back-washed (without removal or recharging) so unless you are really set on another type of filter, I would stick with that. As for filter size, I would go with at least a 4.9 sq-ft but larger is always better.

I LOVE my sand filter. I had a cartridge filter with my last pool and find the sand much easier to clean BUT saying that here is how the different filters go:

Clarity: DE-best
Cartridge-better
Sand-good

Ease of care: Sand-easiest
Cartridge-easy
DE-fairly easy

We can help you fix your filter if you would like. Just let us know.

Kim

I am thinking I will stick with the sand.

More than likely a broken lateral which can be fixed if interested.

We can help you fix your filter if you would like. Just let us know.

What do you guys think about fixing it? I am decently adept, I just assumed it would be a pain. I am looking at broken laterals online and it doesn't look too bad. I can open the filter up this week and provide pictures if that would help.

The hardest part is probably removing the sand. after than you just need to replace the part(s). Far easier than replacing the entire filter.

The hardest part is probably removing the sand. after than you just need to replace the part(s). Far easier than replacing the entire filter.

I'll start pulling it apart this week/next. In the middle of painting my living room unfortunately.
What do you guys do with your sand when you replace it? Might as well put new sand in there if I am removing the old anyway.

You can likely reuse the sand. I replaced my filter a couple years ago because it was so old, parts were barely available and the plastic parts were getting brittle. I drained the water from the filter and took the cover off and allowed it to dry for 24 hours (pool wasn't open yet). Then I used a shop-vac to suck out all the sand. Easiest way to remove sand from a filter. Then you can inspect the laterals for breakage.

Reused all the sand plus a few new bags in my new filter. Works just fine.

So I took the multiport off.

I do have a couple questions.
The sand looks pretty dirty, I guess it was not back washed enough before I closed. Should I just replace the sand or will it clean out fine when replaced? I don't want all the garbage to get mixed in with the sand when I take the sand out. I suppose I could just scoop off the top layer and add a another bag rather than replace all the sand maybe?

dirtysand.jpg

I took the multi-port off and it looks like this piece is broken. It looks like it is supposed to be attached to the multiport and I can see stress on what would be the connecting joint where it may have snapped off from the multi-port. Wondering your thoughts on this?
separated.jpg

Finally, you can see sand in the center pipe so I do need to pull it and the laterals out and check.
Ill post picture in another post, I exceeded my quota

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So my current plan is:
Found the replacements for the top and the laterals. Will replace both as every picture I have seen has that bottom piece attached. I just need to verify these will fit my model.
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SX244...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP071...rue&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

For sand, I will hand scoop out the top few inches and then shop vac the rest out. When I put the sand back in, I will buy a bag to replace the hand scooped sand.

Let me know what you guys think?

Hoping I will not need to make any hose replacement. Need to look into this further tonight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.