Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter Tube

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Tube

Bought a new sand filter and attached to the lateral end is a small clear tube with small filter on end. Does anyone know where this is supposed to go. Does it get buried into the rest of the sand or stay above the sand level. Direction do not even mention it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    10,000 Gallons~
    Pentair Dynamo .75/1.0 HP pump
    16" Pooline D-400 Sand Filter w/ 6-way valve

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Filter Tube

That looks like it may be an air relief tube. Sometimes they are connected to a spot on a multiport vale, others just left above the sand. Here is a quote from one company that addresses such a tube:
    Clear plastic tube attached to standpipe is an air relief. As you are adding the sand into the tank, try to hold the tube up against the standpipe. The white piece on the end of this tube should be ABOVE sand level when you are done adding sand to the filter.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Great, thanks for the info. What manufacturer did you find that for? just curious? I thought it might connect into muti-port valve also, but do not see anyplace for such a connection..
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    10,000 Gallons~

4. Back To Top    #4

It's an internal air relief. You want it inside the filter as high as possible.

5. Back To Top    #5

fritz, I couldn't find where I copied that original reply from that I quoted earlier, but here are a couple others:
    Technical question about sand filter
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...F-63f3amVC3QBw
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks, helped alot!
    16X24 Oval Doughboy
    10,000 Gallons~