Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Stained Steps

1. Back To Top    #1

Cleaning Stained Steps

Ok so I figured I would start a new thread instead of asking this question in the SWG thread I have going. My steps got horrible due to me not keeping up with the pool over the winter for multiple reasons. I tried using a magic eraser and that didn't help. Any suggestions on how to clean these steps? I would like to get them white again like they were last year. Thanks you for any considerations.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    18x36 ft in ground vinyl liner pool Approximately 27000 gal. Pump is Pentair IntelliFlo variable speed pump with Hayward sand filter and Hayward Aquarite Salt System with T-15 Cell. K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cleaning Stained Steps

Put a couple of vitamin C tablets in a sock and scrub the stairs in a small area. See what happens and let us know. If it works, wait for instructions before cleaning the stairs completely.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok. I'll try it in just a few minutes.

18x36 ft in ground vinyl liner pool Approximately 27000 gal. Pump is Pentair IntelliFlo variable speed pump with Hayward sand filter and Hayward Aquarite Salt System with T-15 Cell. K-2006 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok so I did it and it seems to be definitely making it lighter. It didn't take it off completely but I only scrubbed for about 3-5 mins.

5. Back To Top    #5

They are likely iron stains. You will need to do an Ascorbic acid treatment -

Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains

Follow the procedure exactly. Many people often just do the AA treatment which gets rid of the stains but then neglect to add a proper metal sequestrant. Once the chlorine is brought back up, the stains return. You have to follow the procedure exactly in order for it to work.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

Please take LOTS of pictures starting with one where you did the first rub with the vit. C. That way it can help others.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

If the staining on your steps is iron (and it sounds like it as vitamin C -ascorbic acid- helped), there is likely staining on the vinyl walls too. I am sorry. I know you just finished a slam...

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

If you just think that vitamin C helped, you need to be very sure before proceeding. Find the darkest stained horizontal surface and put a few vitamin C tablets right on it. The next day you should have a clean white area if it's working. There should be no doubt if it is in fact metal staining.

There are other sources for stains like that and the treatment differs.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Show us another pic post-vitamin C, please.

10. Back To Top    #10

I just got this but I only did a small spot about the size of a half dollar. It's to dark for me to take a picture now. Honestly if I have to get the chlorine to 0 I'm going to have to wait because I just got done doing a slam and getting pool cleared up. I'm not taking the chance of getting algae back right now. Lol.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Please take LOTS of pictures starting with one where you did the first rub with the vit. C. That way it can help others.

Kim
    I will take some pictures tomorrow and tonight I'll put one of the vitamin c tablets on the darkest spot and we will see if it makes it white.

12. Back To Top    #12

[IMG][/IMG]

Ok so I was able to take some pictures. Thought it was too dark but they turned out ok. Its not the darkest spots because they are on the sides. I put 3 tablets on them and we shall see what they look like in the morning..

[IMG][/IMG]

13. Back To Top    #13

Well, if you spent 3-5 minutes scrubbing a half-dollar spot to notice a difference, that sounds like something besides iron.

14. Back To Top    #14

Here is hoping!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    Well, if you spent 3-5 minutes scrubbing a half-dollar spot to notice a difference, that sounds like something besides iron.
    Hopefully its something else... My pool was pretty nasty... I can't believe I let it go but we had a lot going on so... We shall see if it takes the stain up in the morning........

16. Back To Top    #16

Well I just checked where I put the tablets. Its white...

[IMG][/IMG]

17. Back To Top    #17

That's good news. It means an AA treatment will work. Believe me it's way more frustrating to have brown stains that don't respond to either vitamin C or chlorine.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

18. Back To Top    #18

I know you prefer not to do an AA treatment now. I get that. For a temporary improvement, you could scrub the stairs with the sock method, but do it when your FC is on the low end of your range as chlorine makes the Vitamin C less effective. Just an idea.

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by MarianParoo View Post
    I know you prefer not to do an AA treatment now. I get that. For a temporary improvement, you could scrub the stairs with the sock method, but do it when your FC is on the low end of your range as chlorine makes the Vitamin C less effective. Just an idea.
    Yeah but that would be a lot of scrubbing.. Lol I wonder where a good place would be to get AA cheaper around here. My FC is down to 6 so I might as well go ahead and let it come down and do the treatment. I want the pool to be open by next month. I just don't want to get algae back and have to start the slam all over again. But I guess I don't have much of choice.

20. Back To Top    #20

Try Amazon or The Chemistry Store. You shouldn't need more than a few pounds.

Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast