Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planter Ideas, Landscape bark blew into pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Planter Ideas, Landscape bark blew into pool

Well, the landscape bark sure did look good until the wind blew it all into the pool and all over my decking. Thinking of doing "chunky" decorative rock but thought I'd check here and see if anyone had other ideas for a covering that won't blow into the pool.

SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Planter Ideas, Landscape bark blew into pool

River rocks! Here's ours, in corner...

My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

We also use river rock.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

4. Back To Top    #4

It might seem like overkill for a small planter like that but you could add landscaping fabric to the base before rocks. It's great for keeping the weeds from growing in the base.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

There are various sizes you can get and there are some small enough in scale, but large enough to not blow.
    5900 G Fiberglass IG pool (circa 1990), SWG Hayward Aqua Rite GoldLine (2013), IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump (2013), Hayward Pro Sand Filter (circa 1990), Well water (no iron or other metals fortunately), test with Taylor K2006C, Charleston, SC

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by otter86753 View Post
    We also use river rock.
    Don't know if this is worth being moved into a separate thread, but we use river rock, as well. We have a devil of a time getting leaves and pine needles out of it.... any helpful hints?

7. Back To Top    #7

Cut down your pine trees and deciduous trees! Just kidding of course. We don't have any pine or deciduous trees around our pool so leaves are minimal for us. There is a huge sycamore about three doors down that we get some from. We mainly deal with palm fruit berries so I don't have any tips other than we did finally break down and buy the quietest leaf blower we could find.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by otter86753 View Post
    Cut down your pine trees and deciduous trees! Just kidding of course. We don't have any pine or deciduous trees around our pool so leaves are minimal for us. There is a huge sycamore about three doors down that we get some from. We mainly deal with palm fruit berries so I don't have any tips other than we did finally break down and buy the quietest leaf blower we could find.
    On OUR side of the fence, we have palms. On THEIR side of the fence they have massive deciduous trees and some pretty tall pines. Although we have had a fleeting consideration of a night chainsaw party, the owner of the trees is the County District Attorney and we've decided to forgo the night vandalism in lieu of whatever other remedy might work......

9. Back To Top    #9

I bet the DA wouldn't bat an eyelash if you cut those trees down...

10. Back To Top    #10

There are two annoying mesquite trees on the property line with my neighbor. One is between our walls the other is on his property. Both send plenty of litter into my yard and my pool. I was having tree work done in my front where there are a line of old mulberry trees as well as a huge mesquite in my backyard and I asked my neighbor if the guys doing the work could trim back those two mesquites. He was very happy to oblige as it cut down the debris in his yard and helped me too. The tree guys were at my house either way, so it was a win-win.

Talk to your DA neighbor; he may be willing to make a deal with you. Ya never know...

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

11. Back To Top    #11

Well, At least I know I'm in good company.

My east neighbor has a Eucalyptus that overhangs the fence. (Basically, ALL of his leaves end up in my yard, hence, my pool.)
    My south neighbor has fir trees, one of which has beetle blight and is basically dead, but he refuses to cut them down.
    My West neighbor has palms, which, "share" their miserableness with everyone in the neighborhood. I filled a 5 gallon bucket with palm seeds the other day just from my car port on that side of the house.

My yard? No trees. But I get everyone elses mess.

Funny though - I actually thought the same as ewKearns - I can see the headline now but I'm not sure how far I would get with a plug-in chainsaw. That might be a short chase for the PD

On top of that, between me and my south neighbor is an alley - that's dirt / stone, not paved. So, everytime the garbage truck, or some other random car drives down (usualy the junkers looking for stuff on sundays) I get a huge dust cloud that goes up, over the fence, and in the pool. All these little things you don't notice when your looking at the house before you move in!

The eucalytpus is the worst since it has itty bitty little leaves that blow all over the place.

The pine needles are second - but I have a rock ring around the outside of the pool patio, so I take a propane weed torch and burn those up once a month.

AS for the OP - I 2nd the recommendation for river rock, or even the red rock you can usually get at lowes or HD. But also, agree that you should put a weed barrier down just in case.

I have found for mulch, I just spend a couple extra bucks and buy the rubber stuff. It floats! I just scrape it out of the skimmer and plop it back in the garden
    28K Gallon old-skool plaster hole in the back yard in desperate need of an acid wash and a fixed skimmer diverter (yes, it's still broken)
    Hayward SuperPumpVS pushing some giant hayward cartridge filter setup
    SharcVacXL and Zodiac G2 to keep things clean

12. Back To Top    #12

For Qing I say get some of the pretty glass rock they make for fire pits! BLING and function!

fire pit glass rocks - Google Search

For EW I say the propane torch idea would work great!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Builder put two of these in ours with shrubs in each. We pulled them after a couple weeks! Can't decide on glass rocks fire pits or silk palm w glass rock base... leaning toward the fire pits (less maintenance)

Chris

-Chris-
    2013 In-ground plaster/pebble, screen enclosed, 12000 gal w/ Jandy 2 speed 1 HP pump, Jandy CS 200 cartridge filter, 800 gal spa w/ 1.5 HP booster pump, Solar heater, 2 LED lights in pool 1 light in spa, TF-100 test kit, The PoolCleaner Next Generation, Jandy RS-12 Automation system with iAqualink 2.0 control, Separate Hayward/Goldline Solar control

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks all, we're getting some river rock samples. We have a faux river bed in our front yard and think it might work. Definitely putting down the material to keep weeds down.

SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

15. Back To Top    #15

Look for recycled tire mulch. It is common place in school playgrounds, parks, etc. It looks similar to wood mulch and is too heavy to blow around short of a tornado. I prefer black/dark mulch and the tire mulch won't fade like standard mulch and it never breaks down and needs replacement.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by QingGuy View Post
    Well, the landscape bark sure did look good until the wind blew it all into the pool and all over my decking. Thinking of doing "chunky" decorative rock but thought I'd check here and see if anyone had other ideas for a covering that won't blow into the pool.

What kind of Palm Trees are those? They look really close to the edge. I also suggest river rock. We have planters with them in it but no plants just another bigger rock.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

17. Back To Top    #17

River rocks are nice, used them all around our pool.

- - - Updated - - -

I just keep at them with a leaf blower before leaves get imbedded. A vac/ blower would work best as long as rocks are large enough
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

18. Back To Top    #18

We have some beautiful multicolored pebbles in one area near the pool. I like the color. Every time I go on vacation, I bring a few home to add and then take out a few of the "bought" rocks.

19. Back To Top    #19

Have not personally used it, but rubber mulch matting comes to mind.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_325988-80847...ductId=3637776

What I have used is that water polished flat round black rock. It's not cheap, but the wind won't blow it, it will let water pass through and with landscape fabric underneath it, you won't get any weeds taking root. Anything that does will come out easily.

plat.
    Modern Geometric-ish Social Pool (4'-5'-4') ~13' x 47'. Sun shelf. Perimeter overflow spa. RiverFlow Swimjet. Dog ramp. "Bubble Lounge"
    Link to my patio build, completed 2013
    Link to my pool build, Aug '15 - Sep '16

20. Back To Top    #20

And the winner is . . . RIVER ROCK! Going to have the landscape lights installed, then lay down weed barrier and cover with river rock. Thanks for all the input.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast