Greetings from CT

Mar 5, 2016
Central CT
I closed on a house with a pool in October and pretty much jumped in to say I swam in it then had a local pool company close it. I'm a swimmer and former lifeguard and really looking forward to enjoying the water this summer.

I'm starting to do some serious research to get ready for opening it up in a couple of months. The pump that it came with died right after I closed on the house (I new it was in bad shape from the inspection), and I'm trying to decide between a dual speed and variable speed pump. I've read a lot of the articles on pool school and will continue reading for the next few months. I'm hoping the TFP method can help me prove my co-worker (former pool owner) wrong about how expensive and how much work owning a pool is. THe picture below is from the realtor and is not reflective of my own decorating choices :p

12038435_752250857695_5283043927904537408_n.jpg

HI! That is a pretty pool and area.

You sure have come to the right place for a clear pool on the cheap! Have you ordered your test kit yet? Look in my siggy at the bottom for the one we use and love. You will want it soon so you can test your fill water and maybe take a sample of the pool water if you can without messing up the cover.

You will want to open BEFORE it gets too warm.

Kim

Right now I just have a 5 way test kit, but I was planning on buying a better one when I get a little closer to opening. I was planning on opening pretty early this year so it will look nice when my grandparents come visit. From what I was reading I should shoot to open the pool by he time the water temperatures hit 60?

I'm dying to know what you are thinking about doing with the arborvitaes along the fence... hedge them?

I'm not sure what I"ll do with the arborvitaes yet. They add a significant amount of privacy to the pool area. I do have a long standing dream of having some espaliered fruit trees. Mostly I have to see how the sun hits this summer to see what my plant options are.

I'd open a little before that. This is a "new" pool with lots of unknowns. It would be best to open it up before the water is capable of allowing algae to grow.

As for your original question about the pump, you need to tell us what you originally had there and what kind of electrical setup you have. A shot of the equipment pad would help as well as piping size.

And yes, if you follow the TFP method to a T, you can invite your coworker over for a BBQ later in the summer and wipe his nose in your beautiful and cheap pool ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

If your only pump concern is how much it cost to operate it, then a 2 speed pump would be the way to go as long as your KWH cost is less than 20 cents.

If its over 20, a VS pump would pay for itself in a relatively short amount of time.

Having said that though, the VS pumps sure have a lot of nice features. I have one and after having had it, would not have anything other than a VSP. I love that thing!

I like techie toys so the variable speed pump is very tempting, but the up front cost is a bit concerning. I still need to do some reading about how my timer would work with a dual speed pump. Right now I have a T101 timer in my basement. My goal for this week is to read about installing a replacement and seeing if I can DIY it, or if I'm going to have to pay someone/bribe my father to help.

Plumbing side of the pad

Single electric outlet with a light for the switch. (that arborvitae needs to be pruned back... a lot.

Untitled

I think this has the pump that came with it.

Untitled

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You certainly can do it yourself. Typically a 104 and a 106 are used together when controlling a two speed pump. Personally, I prefer to bump the speed up manually when I need to vacuum or expedite chemical mixing, rather than mess with the extra wiring. The rest of the time it's on low anyways. But just in case you decide to install both timers, here are a couple threads:
2 SPEED PUMP WIRING QUESTIONS - PLEASE HELP ASAP
2 speed pumps and timers

But this one may be even the best for reference:
Wiring.JPG

A 2 speed 3/4 hp pump will work fine. I agree, just use the existing timer and leave it on low speed for filtering. It should really only need to be on hi for vacuuming or extra filtering.