Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Greetings from CT

1. Back To Top    #1

Greetings from CT

I closed on a house with a pool in October and pretty much jumped in to say I swam in it then had a local pool company close it. I'm a swimmer and former lifeguard and really looking forward to enjoying the water this summer.

I'm starting to do some serious research to get ready for opening it up in a couple of months. The pump that it came with died right after I closed on the house (I new it was in bad shape from the inspection), and I'm trying to decide between a dual speed and variable speed pump. I've read a lot of the articles on pool school and will continue reading for the next few months. I'm hoping the TFP method can help me prove my co-worker (former pool owner) wrong about how expensive and how much work owning a pool is. THe picture below is from the realtor and is not reflective of my own decorating choices :P

20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Greetings from CT

That is an exquisite looking scene. Welcome to TFP.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

HI! That is a pretty pool and area.

You sure have come to the right place for a clear pool on the cheap! Have you ordered your test kit yet? Look in my siggy at the bottom for the one we use and love. You will want it soon so you can test your fill water and maybe take a sample of the pool water if you can without messing up the cover.

You will want to open BEFORE it gets too warm.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm dying to know what you are thinking about doing with the arborvitaes along the fence... hedge them?
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Right now I just have a 5 way test kit, but I was planning on buying a better one when I get a little closer to opening. I was planning on opening pretty early this year so it will look nice when my grandparents come visit. From what I was reading I should shoot to open the pool by he time the water temperatures hit 60?
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    I'm dying to know what you are thinking about doing with the arborvitaes along the fence... hedge them?
    I'm not sure what I"ll do with the arborvitaes yet. They add a significant amount of privacy to the pool area. I do have a long standing dream of having some espaliered fruit trees. Mostly I have to see how the sun hits this summer to see what my plant options are.
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I'd open a little before that. This is a "new" pool with lots of unknowns. It would be best to open it up before the water is capable of allowing algae to grow.

As for your original question about the pump, you need to tell us what you originally had there and what kind of electrical setup you have. A shot of the equipment pad would help as well as piping size.

And yes, if you follow the TFP method to a T, you can invite your coworker over for a BBQ later in the summer and wipe his nose in your beautiful and cheap pool

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

If your only pump concern is how much it cost to operate it, then a 2 speed pump would be the way to go as long as your KWH cost is less than 20 cents.

If its over 20, a VS pump would pay for itself in a relatively short amount of time.

Having said that though, the VS pumps sure have a lot of nice features. I have one and after having had it, would not have anything other than a VSP. I love that thing!
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

9. Back To Top    #9

I also love my VS pump. Cheap to run and total control of the water flow.

Here is a good one for your pool.
    Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

I like techie toys so the variable speed pump is very tempting, but the up front cost is a bit concerning. I still need to do some reading about how my timer would work with a dual speed pump. Right now I have a T101 timer in my basement. My goal for this week is to read about installing a replacement and seeing if I can DIY it, or if I'm going to have to pay someone/bribe my father to help.

Plumbing side of the pad

Single electric outlet with a light for the switch. (that arborvitae needs to be pruned back... a lot.

Untitled

I think this has the pump that came with it.

Untitled
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

You certainly can do it yourself. Typically a 104 and a 106 are used together when controlling a two speed pump. Personally, I prefer to bump the speed up manually when I need to vacuum or expedite chemical mixing, rather than mess with the extra wiring. The rest of the time it's on low anyways. But just in case you decide to install both timers, here are a couple threads:
    2 SPEED PUMP WIRING QUESTIONS - PLEASE HELP ASAP
    2 speed pumps and timers

But this one may be even the best for reference:
    Wiring.JPG
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

A 2 speed 3/4 hp pump will work fine. I agree, just use the existing timer and leave it on low speed for filtering. It should really only need to be on hi for vacuuming or extra filtering.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

One timer and flipping it over manually sounds good to me.
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit