Polaris 280 issues

May 15, 2015
Smyrna, ga
My family bought a new house in 2014 and it has a pool (first for us). The owners left everything with the pool including a Polaris 280 cleaner. Everything has worked fine until this year (as I am working to get the pool ready for warmer weather). We used everything as it was in the few months we had in 2014. In 2015, I changed the filter and main pump as I got a great deal on a 30" sand filter and a variable speed pump. The 280 worked fine for 2015.

Now in 2016, I discover the line from the booster pump to the pool wall is has a Tee under the pool deck and there are two outlets (one has been plugged since we purchased the home and the other is the fitting or the Polaris). When I hook up the polaris and turn on the booster pump, the plug in the second leg of the Tee is being blown out. There are no clogs in the polaris hose. I replaced the wall fitting and pressure release valve, to no affect. If I plug the second outlet with a 1.5" rubber (winterizing) plug, the water will flow from the primary cleaner fitting. Once I hook the polaris to it, it will run at most for 30sec - 1 min before blowing out the plug on the second outlet.

Looking to get input on options. I figure I could lower the water level and permanently plug the fitting, but I am worried if I am building up too much pressure. I notice that there is some leakage at the Polaris swivel fittings, so I have ordered a set to replace those.

It sounds as if that 2nd plugged return Was meant to be a 2nd place to plug in the polaris, or just another return. It may leak in that line? I would just get a threaded winterizing plug and cap it off....or cut at the T under the deck and cap it off. It might come in handy in the future however.

A threaded plug would do the trick, save this line is not threaded at the outlet. Yes, I realize I can chisel out around the line, add a fitting that converts to threaded, but was hoping for some easier tricks to try first. I just don't get what has changed over the winter. These two fittings may at most be 4" apart at the same level.

Any more clues as to why the change.

I will disassemble the polaris and see if there are plugged jets. I don't think so as I can shove a hose in the fitting and see water flowing from jets (albeit that is much lower pressure). Is there a method to check the back-up valve? I can always pull it out of the line and see if that alleviates the problem.

I bought a new plug, but assume it could be poorly fitting. I even tried the old plug (in the pipe about 1" and tightened) and the new plug. Same result... blown out into he pool after starting the booster pump.

Any chance the booster pump has for some reason starting pumping at higher pressure? Any thoughts that cooler water would cause this issue (in GA and water is not really warmed up significantly).

Thanks for any help!

The backup valve should only turn in for 30 sec....I beleive every 2 min or so. Only other thing I can think if is to adjust the jets and tail to let more water out (try opening up the tail all the way). Maybe there was an obstruction in your pump that worked itself out over the winter? They typically don't get stronger over time. Do you have a restrictor (red or blue plate) in your polaris wall fitting?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.