Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Opened too late, pool slightly green...

1. Back To Top    #1

Opened too late, pool slightly green...

Water is still at 55 degrees, chemical numbers:

FC - 3
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.2-7.3... its kinda in the middle... tested it twice.
    CYA - ~25ish... hard to tell as the tube maxes out a 30...

Obviously I need to slam, the wife is grabbing me 8 bottles of bleach as I type this... Ill slam it til it goes clear.

I cant remember though... thinking I need to wait to adjust CYA until after SLAM is complete, right?

I know with a lower CYA it will take less bleach to slam... 15 ppm by the trusty pool calc...

and what about pH? 7.2-7.3 isnt horrid, im thinking slam first adjust ph afterwards, however, I just pulled cover off an got pump going today, I have noticed that its normal for my pH to be low at first and after a week of no cover and pump running it goes up to where it is supposed to be.

thoughts?

thanks!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Opened too late, pool slightly green...

Yes, DO NOT adjust CYA. Just SLAM it. Your pH is fine for SLAM.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Yes, DO NOT adjust CYA. Just SLAM it. Your pH is fine for SLAM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
    Thanks!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.

4. Back To Top    #4

+1! Yep, you're right on track. Here are the details if you want to review. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

CYA - ~25ish... hard to tell as the tube maxes out a 30...
    Just to clarify, the CYA test in that kit STARTS @ 30 and maxes out at 100. So you are saying you are filling up past the 30 mark and the black dot is finally obscured?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Just to clarify, the CYA test in that kit STARTS @ 30 and maxes out at 100. So you are saying you are filling up past the 30 mark and the black dot is finally obscured?
    yes. it is obscured just slighty above the 30 mark.

how long does it usually take to get from aqua marine green to crystal clear? a few days?

7. Back To Top    #7

Each pool and scenario is different. You can expect it to take a few days to pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Keep the bleach handy and maintain. You can do it!

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Each pool and scenario is different. You can expect it to take a few days to pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Keep the bleach handy and maintain. You can do it!

yeah, thats what I was thinking. I bought enough for 3-4 days.

9. Back To Top    #9

It is done when it is done...............there is really no way to tell. You can do it faster by making sure the FC NEVER drops below SLAM level for your CYA.

Don't forget to brush at least once a day. Try for 2 if you can.

Good luck! Keep taking and sharing pictures looking down at our steps. That is the best thing for us to see the progress.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    It is done when it is done...............there is really no way to tell. You can do it faster by making sure the FC NEVER drops below SLAM level for your CYA.

Don't forget to brush at least once a day. Try for 2 if you can.

Good luck! Keep taking and sharing pictures looking down at our steps. That is the best thing for us to see the progress.

Kim
    here is what we are starting with. I over shot somehow the FC amount needed. Pool cal says 13 ppm for cya of 30, I poured in 3 121oz jugs of 8%, tested an hour later at opposite end of the pool, got 18ppm, oh well, better a bit too high than too low. ill test again in the a.m. before I head out to church and again soon as I return after noon.

11. Back To Top    #11

Try to test in the same place every time; along side at mid-depth and not too close to a return. You go!!!
    Last edited by MarianParoo; 03-05-2016 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Lots of fat thumbs on my phone...

12. Back To Top    #12

We will get you clear easy! Good job on the start.

Keep that pump running and FC up and you will fine!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

update: seems to be clearing nicely. i have had to backwash twice as my filter would get so full, nothing was coming out of returns. ugly nasty brown backwash water. I run my dolphin nautilus every 6 hours to keep the dead algea cleaned up of the bottom and im brushing the sides twice a day. Ive been keeping the FC around 19-20 even though calc says 13, i want to make sure it never drops below shock level. so far the lowest it has went was 17. pump has been on constant HI since 6 yesterday when I started the slam.

14. Back To Top    #14

You're doing good on the FC "maintain" part. Stay with it. This will all be behind you before you know it. Patience is key.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

15. Back To Top    #15

It's already starting to look better! Good job!

16. Back To Top    #16

Glad to hear it is working for you! You are doing everything right!

Kim

17. Back To Top    #17

We have went from green to pretty blue with a pretty clear bottom!

she still isnt crystal clear though... so slamming continuing.... FC still holding at 19ppm... a bit on the high side....and thats right where ill keep it.

next stop.... crystal clear, which I expect to see tomorrow...

Once it hits crystal clear, ill hold slam level for 2 more days to make sure before I do OFCL test and CC testing, just to make sure every single cell of algea is dead, water is still below 60 degrees, so not like I can swim... so might as well hold high levels for a couple extra days as extra insurance that im done.

18. Back To Top    #18

That's what I would do. Good job!