help with outdoor sound system

I know this sounds crazy and a little outside the box from your topic but we were going to do a sound system out on the patio by the pool and our summer kitchen area but after hearing a Bose Soundlink 3 Bluetooth speaker it was a done deal. The sound covers the entire back yard and also plugs into our large flat screen on the covered part of the patio. The race and the football games can be heard very clear everywhere and we can take it anywhere with a battery live of many hours. Trust me, I was skeptical too until we heard it. Just a thought

My outdoor sound solution is part of a whole house audio system that I am installing on the cheap. Thought I would share in case it gave any ideas.

In total I have 7 zones throughout the house. 6 of the zones use in ceiling dual coil stereo speakers, the seventh is a pair of outdoor speakers. I purchased all speakers, cables from Monoprice or Amazon. To power them I bought a used 12 channel (6 zone) amp and two small class-t stereo amps. Each outdoor speaker I am running in bridged mode to give them a little more oomph. I thought about using Sonos Connects for the sources, but instead I opted for Google's Chromecast Audio devices (at 1/10th the price each). They can be set up individually for each zone and grouped together in any combination with other Chromecasts to play the same source in whatever room you want. All control (volume, speaker selection, source) is done on a smartphone or the PC so yes Wi-Fi is required. I was also able to upload my music collection through Google Play on the PC. So far it is pretty slick. The interface on the phone uses the Google Cast app and whatever app your music is coming from (Google Play, Pandora, Spotify, Tune-In, or any other that is compatible with Chromecast). All said and done I spent about $900 on this project, including all speaker wire and interconnects (the boss gave me a budget of $1k so I think I did pretty good). Next she wants an outdoor theater for movie nights by the pool....wish me luck.

Idyllic, that is a great solution. Thank you! I think I'm going to go with that instead of buying the sonos connect amp. MUCH cheaper and offers me all I need. I like that others can play tunes off their phone (as w sonos). When I fave friends over someone always likes to play DJ and I'm more than happy not to have to worry about the music.

I have a bluetooth receiver connected to the internet with two speakers under the eaves of the house, two outdoor year round speakers by the pool. I have a volume control box that will allow me to adjust the volume so the folks on the desk are not blasted with sound and usually keep the pool speakers cranking. I can control the music (radio, pandora, hard drive, etc) and overall volume via my the receiver's app on my phone.

Here is what I decided to purchase:
Speakers: Two TIC GS-3s speakers to put out by the pool & two Yamaha NS-AW150W for the eaves
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-822-K ethernet connection to my internet router
Volume Control: Leviton Volume Control SGVST-W for each pair of speakers which will be installed in a semi transparent weatherproof box
Wires: Landscape wire for the tic speakers and ro

I installed the Pioneer App and am controlling it via my phone. The app allows me to control volume, some sound setting, music source (ipod, internet radio, pandora, etc). I can control my ipod using the app.

I paid just over $600 for the materials and will pay my contractor to install the wires (attic and underdground). Here are hyperlinks for people like me who need the pictures and extra help:
Speakers inground http://www.amazon.com/TIC-GS-3-150-W....%20ds=tic+gs3
Speakers eaves http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00....%20UTF8&psc=1
Receiver http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-82...neer+vsx-822-k
Weatherproof box http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2039847...hm&R=203984747
Volume Control http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1006024...1v&R=100602408
Wires for TIC http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2022064...1v&R=202206446
Wires for Yamaha http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26...1#tab=overview

Why not get a 7.2 receiver and just get a couple more matching rock speakers. You could control your living/tv/family room with the same receiver and AirPlay everything. If you have a big party, you could music through the whole 1st floor, or just outside

I'm looking at something similar, Raspberry Pi based setup. Was it easy to put together?

What DAC did you use? I found some relatively cheap amps with a standard input jack that the Pi can connect with. I'd read a USB sound card was worth the upgrade.

I'd love to go Bluetooth but all our wiring is in our front room. It's too far to the pool for Bluetooth to reach. I'd have to go inside to change songs. That's why I want the Pi setup. I can control it from outside as long as I have wifi.

My guess is this will be around $100 all in for me. We already have speakers wired and mounted.

I have a Pi running Kodi and it works great! I can play all of my music, create playlists and stream radio stations.

My outdoor sound solution is part of a whole house audio system that I am installing on the cheap. Thought I would share in case it gave any ideas.

In total I have 7 zones throughout the house. 6 of the zones use in ceiling dual coil stereo speakers, the seventh is a pair of outdoor speakers. I purchased all speakers, cables from Monoprice or Amazon. To power them I bought a used 12 channel (6 zone) amp and two small class-t stereo amps. Each outdoor speaker I am running in bridged mode to give them a little more oomph. I thought about using Sonos Connects for the sources, but instead I opted for Google's Chromecast Audio devices (at 1/10th the price each). They can be set up individually for each zone and grouped together in any combination with other Chromecasts to play the same source in whatever room you want. All control (volume, speaker selection, source) is done on a smartphone or the PC so yes Wi-Fi is required. I was also able to upload my music collection through Google Play on the PC. So far it is pretty slick. The interface on the phone uses the Google Cast app and whatever app your music is coming from (Google Play, Pandora, Spotify, Tune-In, or any other that is compatible with Chromecast). All said and done I spent about $900 on this project, including all speaker wire and interconnects (the boss gave me a budget of $1k so I think I did pretty good). Next she wants an outdoor theater for movie nights by the pool....wish me luck.

I have the same thing and really think it is the best way to go. Almost everything was from Monoprice and you can get very good deals through them. Same also with the chromecasts, they work great! We can watch a full surround movie in the living room while listening to the radio in the kitchen and a chromecast out back...

I haven't invested in anything hi-tech, but I have an Amazon Echo hanging outside which is plenty loud with a decent quality sound. It can connect to my phone via blue tooth or stream directly from Amazon Music, Spotify or Pandora. I just say, "Alexa, play xxxx from Prime Music" and it works pretty well. I also use it to set a timer when I'm grilling.

Google Chromecast audio is the perfect solution for outdoor audio. It cost 35$ and allows wifi control, tune-in app integration, and recently allows multicasting.(you can use multiple chromecast that will sync) Basically a Sonos for 35$. It's not the same as the chromecast for video and allows hi-def audio... up to 24/96 if you stream from you device and use the optical output. I added Klipsch AW-650's and an old Sony amp for great sound and control.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used some yamaha ms80 pa speakers ran from a pioneer stereo in the garage. But I built a 2x4 frame and made planters out of 24 inch tile. The speaker is under and out of sight

Attachments

• 20160605_165851.jpg
    20160605_165851.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 92
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.