Pump Surge Protector question

Jul 21, 2015
Tempe, Az
I never picked up on this before, but there's a lot of chatter on the board this weekend about surge protectors.

Anyone have a recommendation for one that can be used out on the pumping pad? Before or after a mechanical timer? Or, better yet, is there a cost effective timer setup that has it integrated that someone knows about off hand?

I have no way to install one at my panel - my conduit is buried into the stucco on my house, so no go there. Unless it can be installed BEHIND the front panel of the box in-line?

You don't have any spare circuits in the panel? You can get ones that plug into the panel and it takes up two spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

I have two surge protectors. A larger one on my main service panel to protect the whole house and a smaller on on the pool sub panel to further protect my pump and pool equipment. The surge protector on the sub panel is connected directly to the incoming feed from the main panel. I just shut down the pool panel at the main panel and connected to the same terminals as the feed from the main panel. Here is the smaller one I used to protect the pool sub panel. Cheap insurance for $25.

Amazon.com: Square D by Schneider Electric SDSA1175 Panel Mounted Single Phase Type 1 Surge Protective Device: Home Improvement

My main panel is also set into the stucco on the house, but I was able to use a knock out on the bottom of the panel and a offset fitting to mount the surge protector on the bottom of box. I had to chip away a little stucco, but not much.

[edit] Just noticed, if you go to that tread you get most of the same info, and more.

LOL thanks guys. Search brain isn't working for me today.

I'll have to look in my panel - IIRC my pool breakers are lumped in the middle somewhere. I may just order one and see where I can manage to wire it in (I can add a sub-box easier at the pool itself)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.