D.E. Filling pump basket and flowing back too drain ?

Mar 5, 2013
Fort Worth Texas
I have D.E flowing out of my filter as soon as pump is off.
If i change the jandy valve ( suction before pump) to spa no issues as soon as i move it to pool d.e. Starts to fill pump basket when pump is off and goes into pool via the drain.
Any ideas ???? Thinking maybe a underground suction leak..

If it was above ground would it leak in spa mode also ???
Also when i move the hayward multiport to closed no de back up into basket.
I just changed the 3 o-rings on the jandy valve no change..

Not a suction leak. Typically, a leak at the filter, either the air relief or at the waste port of the multiport. Remove the sightglass from the waste line and listen for air getting sucked in. This happens because the water in the filter is higher than the water in the pool.

It doesn't happen in spa mode because the spa is higher.

Do you have a check valve between the pump and filter? I had that exact issue and it was a failed check valve. Valve replaced- problem solved.

No check valve , i have never had one and never had trouble.
I took the pressure relief valve off and inspected it. If you pull it apart it has 2 o-rings on a thredded shaft, they looked ok.
When i put it back togther it wont close all the way ??? Theres only one way to put it on ???
Is there a trick ?? The part has a arrow that say align lever here ?
Anyway all my d.e. is back in the pool now!!
The last thing i can think of is the multi port spider gasket, in the past when these went bad water run out the waste port.
Thats not happening now.

Probably need some silicone lube on the o-rings for the air relief.

When the pump is on, the water pressure pushes the diverter in the multiport down and makes a seal. When the pump is off, air can be pulled into the multiport from waste if the spring is not good or the shaft seal is sticky.

If you turn the pump off and listen at the waste line, you should be able to hear air getting sucked in.

i ordered a new air relief valve on Amazon, you can't buy just the 2 little o-rings on the lever.
None of the Leslies in the entire DFW area had this part !!! Really !!!!
Also ordered the 2 big o-rings that seal that big assembly on top the filter.
I can't hear any air coming in from the wast port ( after removing the sight glass ) ?
Now i have 20lbs of D.E. In my pool !!!!

i ordered a new air relief valve on Amazon, you can't buy just the 2 little o-rings on the lever.
None of the Leslies in the entire DFW area had this part !!! Really !!!!
Also ordered the 2 big o-rings that seal that big assembly on top the filter.
I can't hear any air coming in from the wast port ( after removing the sight glass ) ?
Now i have 20lbs of D.E. In my pool !!!!

Well there's your problem! The filter is only supposed to have 9 lbs in it.

Adding a check valve between the pump and filter is usually a good idea. There's air getting in somewhere. Mostly likely on the filter or maybe after the filter. If the air relief does not fix it, I would check the spider gasket next. If it were somewhere else on the pressure side, the leak would be obvious (usually).

Ok i replaced the filter bleed valve and all orings, replaces spider on multiport
Still d.e. In pump basket at shut off, you can hear the filter daining down when pump is off.
But pump never lost prime ( full to the top )
So i removed the diverter valve on the skimmer closest to pump and the problum went away.
I think maybe i have a leak in the main drain pipe underground.
The diverter uses the suction from skimmer to pull from drain also.
With diverter removed i think it's only pulling from skimmers.
I have noticed what i would call excess water loss d uring the winter ( no swimming )
About 2 inches a week but it varies ...
What should i do ??? Plug the drain ??? Call a pro ???
Any recomendation ???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some Hayward DE filters have a built in check valve in the inlet, if it fails it can cause this problem, I had one go out and ended up adding a Jandy check valve inline before the DE filter for easier future servicing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.