Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Current recomendations?

1. Back To Top    #1

Current recomendations?

I'm seriously considering a SWG for my 30,000 gal pool.
    I really want to get this right the first time...... and want to install it myself. I rate myself as a "C+" handyman and hope to save the $300 installation charge if possible.
    I was thinking of getting the Pentair or Hayward and after reading reviews, I see that they both have had their share of troubles.
    Is there a current recommendation on which maybe the most reliable?
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

"I'd build a deck over my pool if I didn't have a SWG"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Current recomendations?

At the risk of being Capt. Obvious, I think it's important to remember that you tend to see more problems posted to internet boards than positive reviews, such that one might be tempted to believe there is a rash of problems with any/every product ever made.

I only have a year on my Pentair, but I'm inclined to believe that if I perform the requisite maintenance it should continue to perform well.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

3. Back To Top    #3

They are both good products and both are generally reliable. For every one you hear about with problems there are hundreds or thousands out there working great. You will need one rated for 60k gallons and it will be a better long term value because you can produce more chlorine with less pump run time. Hayward tends to get the nod here at TFP because it is cheaper to buy, easier to repair if you do have trouble and the replacement cells don't have on board electronics. But, I am very happy with my almost 4 year old Pentair Intellichlor.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't see a Hayward Salt Generator model that goes up to 60,000?
    35,000 Gal. - 40x20x8 - Plaster - SWG Pentair IC 60 - Barracuda G3 Vacuum - Hayward c1750 Cartridge Filter - Blue Torrent VS 1.5hp pump - Pool is 45 years old.

5. Back To Top    #5

The Hayward T-15 only puts out 1.4 pounds of chlorine while the Pentair IC-60 puts out 2 pounds of chlorine in a day.

You will have to run the Hayward unit for a longer period of time compared to the Pentair to make the required amount of chlorine during the summer months.

The Hayward has more control on how much chlorine is generated when a pool does not have automation. The Hayward is controlled by 1% increments while the Pentair is only adjustable by 20% increments.

Pentair's warranty is only 60 days for self installations, while Hayward's is 3 years.

Both brands are good quality SWG's.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

6. Back To Top    #6

Do I understand correctly that a SWG will produce a lot of calcium as a by-product?
    If so, generally, how often do folks have to drain water and re-fill to maintain a correct calcium level?

7. Back To Top    #7

No Philo. The SWG will only convert salt to chlorine (FC) and simply continue that cycle. HERE is a good page. Calcium is a by-product of Cal-Hypo treatments and water hardness from your local water source. It can cause problems for an SWG if not maintained properly. But even in high calcium (CH) parts of the country, draining the pool is not required as long as the TFP parameters are maintained - predominantly pH and TA with the CH. Once you get more familiar with the Poolmath calculator , you'll see a row that calculates "CSI". So even with high CH in your local water, draining is not required when the pH and TA are maintained appropriately.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Texas Splash
    Is there a recommended salt test kit?

9. Back To Top    #9

The folks here seem to like the products available on TFTestkits.net. I hear good praises about those salt testing products.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm trying to check the minimum distance in the return line that is necessary to install the cell.
    This is what is stated:
    Measures 1-1/2-inch length by 4/7-inch height by 4/7-inch width.
    That's not my typo...
    Anyone know exactly how much PVC needs to be cut out for the IC-60?

11. Back To Top    #11

The cell needs 13-1/4"
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach