Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too much water in a new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Corona, CA

Too much water in a new pool

This is my first post. We were supposed to fill our pool to halfway of the tile line, which we did, and then fill the spa. We were told the spa would take 12 hours to fill, but it only took less than 2 hours and then was spilling into the pool. We bucketed out about an inch this morning, but is it okay to leave now? When I caught it, there was about an inch of tile still exposed. Thanks!
    NEW pool install, bean shape
    Pentair - unknown

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Too much water in a new pool

You want your waterline about halfway up the face of the skimmers for the best skimming action. Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP,

There shouldn't be any issue with the level where it is. Just let it level off to where it's spilling into the pool when circulating, and no worries. As for the pool level, Woody has it covered. We were answering at the same time Woody, sorry..
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome Elissa.....can you backwash to drain some down if needed to? Water level needs to be midway up your skimmer. If it's to high your skimmer will not be able to skim properly.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Deltona, FL

If your pump and piping system allows for a drain to waste you can let the pump drain it down for you. It would probably only take a few minutes so watch closely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    28' long x 14' wide by (3.5' shallow ends, 4.5' 1' into pool in middle, 4'9" at main drain) deep in-ground pool plaster surface. Hayward Super Pump C48L2N134B1 1 1/2 HP, Hayward Star Clear Plus Cartridge filter C1200. Tf-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide
    Central MD

Just so you are clear, the reason people are saying that the higher water level will not allow for good skimming is not due to a mysterious "pool rule". It's just that if the water level is such that it is higher than the top of the inlet inlet area of the skimmer mouth, then floating debris, leaves, pollen, etc. will not be physically able to float into the skimmer to be sucked into the suction pipe at the bottom of it.

So pollen will accumulate on the surface and debris may have more time to become water logged and sink before being captured in the skimmer basket.

It's nothing serious, more of a housekeeping item that you don't want to have on a routine basis. It makes it harder to keep the surface of the water clean. The water is still being filtered regardless, just not the surface of it.

A little wordy but I was in an explanatory mood. If you already knew this just skip along!
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. Saltwater w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, salt cell, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Groundbreaking: 2/14/13 | Plaster: 5/21/2013 | First Swim: 5/30/2013