Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AQR-15 on a timer?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question AQR-15 on a timer?

I have a Hayward VS pump with a built-in timer. I'm installing an AQR-15 SWCG and the instructions say that it should only be on when the pump is running. Is it that important to run the AQR on a separate timer - coordinated with pump run times? Would it be asking for trouble, long-term, to hard wire it without a timer and let the flow switch control it? BTW, an automation panel is out of the question. Thanks!
    33' Sharkline Matrix, Hayward MaxFlo 2302VSP 1.5hp, FlowVis, Hayward S360t2 33" sand filter, dual main drains and three returns

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: AQR-15 on a timer?

I would not recommend to hard wire it and have the flow switch control it.. Your just asking for trouble..

an intermatic timer that could turn on and off the pump and SWG at differant times would probably work... I turn my SWG on 5 min after my pump and turn it off 5 minutes before the pump turns off.. you would need to find the correct one for your setup..

you say automation is out but that may be the best option, I went with the Intermatic PE653RC Wireless Control System, at 375 it is more expensive but I really love it... it controls my pump, SWG, and my LED lights all with a wireless remote control that also showes outdoor and pool temps

Intermatic PE653RC Wireless Control System for Variable Speed and Two-Speed Pumps - Sump Pump Accessories - Amazon.com

Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

I also have a VS pump with its own built in timer. My SWG is wired to an old fashioned time clock so I can set the clock to turn the SWG on and off as needed. I run my pump a lot more than I run my SWG so I just make sure to have the SWG set to come on at times when I know the pump will be on.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Getting the Hayward aquaplus or aqualogic with the cell would be better than getting an aquarite and a timer separately.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

My SWG is also on a timer. The flow switch was designed as a secondary safety device and was not intended to be the primary control switching for the SWG.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Im with all the others, dont rely on the flow switch.

I do exactly the same thing, for the same reasons pooldv does. The SWG on a timer is e.a.s.y. street.

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I also have a VS pump with its own built in timer. My SWG is wired to an old fashioned time clock so I can set the clock to turn the SWG on and off as needed. I run my pump a lot more than I run my SWG so I just make sure to have the SWG set to come on at times when I know the pump will be on.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

That's a nice setup Casey! I appreciate the pics. Thank you to all. Timer it is!
    33' Sharkline Matrix, Hayward MaxFlo 2302VSP 1.5hp, FlowVis, Hayward S360t2 33" sand filter, dual main drains and three returns

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a hayward vs pump and swg. Everything is controlled with an intermatic timer
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).