Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirty water pumped into pool after backwash

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirty water pumped into pool after backwash

After back washing my pool, dirty water is pumped back into my pool, regardless of the spider valve setting - rinse or filter. Literally dirty water flows the moment you start to rinse. No water bubbles out of the top of the spider selector. I replaced the sand in my filter this season. Not sure what could be causing this? Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dirty water pumped into pool after backwash

Hello and welcome to TFP! Are few things to consider:
    - Are you rinsing for a good 1-2 minutes?
    - When you replaced the sand, perhaps the laterals didn't get placed back correctly?
    - When you replaced the sand, did you first fill the filter housing with a good amount of water to prevent breaking a lateral from all the weight?
    - Perhaps your spider gasket is beginning to fail?
    - Lastly, new sand can at times require a more lengthy backwash; some people will backwash new sand a good 5 minutes or so, but after that it should be fine.

Perhaps more ideas will come in as well.

Also see: Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters and Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Most likely a bad spider gasket.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Literally dirty water flows the moment you start to rinse.
    Water should not flow into your pool on the rinse setting......you have a bad spider gasket, almost surely
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys, I opened my Spider gasket and found that the black rubber sealer between the different compartments (not O-ring) was perished badly. I have replaced that now but my pool is too dirty to see if the water was dirty after rinsing. I can tell you that no water was coming in while rinsing so I'm feeling hopeful.

7. Back To Top    #7

That was probably it. Good luck and let us know if you have any more problems.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!