Green Water after Chlorine Addition

I guess I'll focus on the SLAM and shift my focus the metals after that. That seems to be the gist I'm getting from this thread.
That's absolutely correct. This iron issue is side-tracking you (and the thread) so get your pool cleaned up by completing the SLAM. I would wait a week or so after that and make sure I had a good handle on the balance and only THEN would I address the iron issue.

What effect does water temperature have on the FAS/DPD test? My water is still cold from the mild winter we had here. Water temp is 60-62 F. Just want to make sure the low temp isn't skewing my results. I probably need to order some fresh chems for my TF-100 kit, but the sale doesn't start for another week.

Kevin T

Hi all. I think maybe some posters missed the significance of the OCLT test...his FC was HIGHER the next am at 17 from 14.5. The next morning his cc was also .5. So something was wrong there in the testing.

Kevin, do you have a salt water generator that you forgot to turn off for te test? Why not do the OCLT again first to determine what you're dealing with for certain. A drop in FC overnight (measure in the dark both times) of more than 1 means you should slam.

If not, and your CC stays at .5, then you should instead sequester.

With respect to your questions about Jack's blue, I found Jack's pink to be more effective for my own iron problem. But I like Metal Magic best, because I don't have to drop the ph to use it. Since you said you battle high ph, which in itself will cause oxidization of metals, you might find Metal Magic less hassle to use with the side benefit that it will also drop your ph a bit. You ph should be at 7.6ish for it to work optimally.

As for choices when you have metal, Duraleigh summed it up nicely.
I now fill with softened water, whch has dramatically reduced the iron, though I still need to us a bit of sequestrant.

No SWG. My only source of chlorine is manually dosing with 10.5% liquid chlorine. Measuring around 6:30 p.m. this evening my result was FC 19 / CC 1.5. I added 4 quarts of chlorine to bring the level up. Last night it was was FC 16 / CC 2, but I added 2.5 gallons of chlorine to bring it up to SLAM levels. Based on my numbers, pretty sure I need to keep FC at or near 20. I'm wondering about the freshness of my chems in the TF-100. They may be close to 2 years old now so I'm gonna replace them. I forgot to do so last year, but managed fine nonetheless. I'll try to test the numbers later this evening and then again in the morning to see where I am. I'm on after hours for my job this week though so it's hard to maintain levels when I'm getting called out 12:30 am and not returning til 4:45 am, then having to turn around and be in the office at 8:00. :(

Kevin T

Just a quick update, I'm about done with the SLAM, but I ran out of reagents so I ordered all new chems this morning for my TF-100 kit. Once that arrives, I'm pretty sure it'll verify that I'm close to done. Here are pics of my pool today around noon. A lot less green than before. The steps haven't yellowed much, but the skimmer seems to be more yellow than before.

Kevin T

pool01.jpg

pool02.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.