DIY Pool Umbrella

Apr 13, 2014
West Monroe, LA
I am wanting to put an umbrella in my pool, but I do not have a sleeve installed and really do not have a desire to drain and have one installed. I am considering creating a stand or even a table that will hold the umbrella that I could put in the pool. This would allow me to move it around as the sun moves.

Has anyone created something like this?

I was thinking about the concept and my thought was to create a base with Concrete (stain or color the concrete) then a pole the proper height to to the top of the water, and then lastly a table top (maybe granite) with a hole to hold the umbrella.

Thoughts?

I am considering creating a stand or even a table that will hold the umbrella that I could put in the pool. This would allow me to move it around as the sun moves....I was thinking about the concept and my thought was to create a base with Concrete .......and then lastly a table top (maybe granite) with a hole to hold the umbrella.

Thoughts?

Concrete base with granite table top..... movable with the sun? You are one manly man.....:poke:

I was looking to do the same thing until I ran across this. Living in Florida this sunshade has been a lifesaver. You can find them on Amazon for about $30.00

ProSource Sand Color 16' Oversized Sun Shade Sail Shade canopy Sun Shelter

Yeah, I thought hard about the cantilever umbrella idea. The problem I have is the sun rises on my deck side of the pool and sets on the backside of the pool where its landscaped. You can kinda tell by my avatar - behind the waterfall is where the sun is late afternoon, and deck side in the early afternoon. This is why I kinda like the idea of having something in the pool - plus I could set my drink on the table top :)

Due to the sun direction I also couldn't get a cantilever to cover far enough across the pool to be of any use.

Well, I was bored one day, and hot even standing in the pool, hanging on the side trying to read and drink my beer. I eyed up the large beach umbrella my daughter bought when visiting and left here. Then I eyed up all the leftover PVC from redoing my entire equipment pad.

I build a square base with the PVC, and extra cross piece across the middle with a tee pointing up. Was 1 1/2 inch PVC. I added a reducer to 3/4 right at the top and the beach umbrella slips right in. I'd just hold the base underwater until it filled to make it stable. It doesn't stand much above water level, but more than enough to be under it standing or floating. I doubt the PVC should damage my liner, but I was pretty careful anyway and also made sure it was out if any kids or drunks would possibly be around.

LOL, a friend last fall asked for it and I passed it on so I have to make another one soon.

Due to the sun direction I also couldn't get a cantilever to cover far enough across the pool to be of any use.

Well, I was bored one day, and hot even standing in the pool, hanging on the side trying to read and drink my beer. I eyed up the large beach umbrella my daughter bought when visiting and left here. Then I eyed up all the leftover PVC from redoing my entire equipment pad.

I build a square base with the PVC, and extra cross piece across the middle with a tee pointing up. Was 1 1/2 inch PVC. I added a reducer to 3/4 right at the top and the beach umbrella slips right in. I'd just hold the base underwater until it filled to make it stable. It doesn't stand much above water level, but more than enough to be under it standing or floating. I doubt the PVC should damage my liner, but I was pretty careful anyway and also made sure it was out if any kids or drunks would possibly be around.

LOL, a friend last fall asked for it and I passed it on so I have to make another one soon.
Do you have any pictures? I’ve been mentally drawing this exact thing so I’m curious if it’s the same plan. I was thinking of trying to add a shelf at the top for drinks too but not sure how I want to make that happen yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.