Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DIY Pool Umbrella

1. Back To Top    #1

DIY Pool Umbrella

I am wanting to put an umbrella in my pool, but I do not have a sleeve installed and really do not have a desire to drain and have one installed. I am considering creating a stand or even a table that will hold the umbrella that I could put in the pool. This would allow me to move it around as the sun moves.

Has anyone created something like this?

I was thinking about the concept and my thought was to create a base with Concrete (stain or color the concrete) then a pole the proper height to to the top of the water, and then lastly a table top (maybe granite) with a hole to hold the umbrella.

Thoughts?
    Louisiana - 19,000 gal, Free form Gunite / Quartz Plaster, Flagstone Waterfall, Cartridge Filter, 1.5hp Hayward Pump, additional pump for waterfall. - Just purchased the Taylor K2006-C Test Kit based on feedback

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DIY Pool Umbrella

Quote Originally Posted by tnmasterplan View Post
    I am considering creating a stand or even a table that will hold the umbrella that I could put in the pool. This would allow me to move it around as the sun moves....I was thinking about the concept and my thought was to create a base with Concrete .......and then lastly a table top (maybe granite) with a hole to hold the umbrella.

Thoughts?
    Concrete base with granite table top..... movable with the sun? You are one manly man.....

3. Back To Top    #3

I was looking to do the same thing until I ran across this. Living in Florida this sunshade has been a lifesaver. You can find them on Amazon for about $30.00

ProSource Sand Color 16' Oversized Sun Shade Sail Shade canopy Sun Shelter
    47k, 40x20 IG plaster,SWG, 24 jets, 3HP Pentair Whisperflo 2 speed,Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter36" Tank S360T2 TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Lowes has granite slab umbrella holders that we use. They have little wheels on one side to make them easier to move. We are able to move them around on the deck to shade the pool. We've had them at least three years. I'd be nervous about chipping the plaster.

Here is one
    Shop Garden Treasures Yellow/Gold Granite Umbrella Base at Lowes.com
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I would definitely consider a cantilever umbrella for your deck. This would give you shade coverage over your pool without the concrete / granite / ironman challenge.
    COMPLETED BUILD THREAD - 15'x29' rectangular offset shotcrete pool; 14,100 gal; 5'x7' raised spa with 400k btu fire feature; 7' spillover; 25' leuder stone raised bond wall w/waterfall; Pentair SWG; Pentair VS (pool); Pentair 3/4hp feature pump; 1hp spa blower; Pentair Cartridge filter; Pentair “Easy Touch 8” wireless; Dolphin Oasis Z5 robot; Solar Hydronics iSwim solar panels; Mansard Screen Enclosure; walnut travertine deck; 1 very happy kiddo.

6. Back To Top    #6

Oh yeah, good call. All the big box stores have giant cantilever umbrellas that would probably work great. I remember checking out this one at Target last year. It was pretty sweet.
    http://www.target.com/p/11-aluminum-...text_rec|pdph1
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, I thought hard about the cantilever umbrella idea. The problem I have is the sun rises on my deck side of the pool and sets on the backside of the pool where its landscaped. You can kinda tell by my avatar - behind the waterfall is where the sun is late afternoon, and deck side in the early afternoon. This is why I kinda like the idea of having something in the pool - plus I could set my drink on the table top
    Louisiana - 19,000 gal, Free form Gunite / Quartz Plaster, Flagstone Waterfall, Cartridge Filter, 1.5hp Hayward Pump, additional pump for waterfall. - Just purchased the Taylor K2006-C Test Kit based on feedback

8. Back To Top    #8

I like the way you're thinking on that!
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Due to the sun direction I also couldn't get a cantilever to cover far enough across the pool to be of any use.

Well, I was bored one day, and hot even standing in the pool, hanging on the side trying to read and drink my beer. I eyed up the large beach umbrella my daughter bought when visiting and left here. Then I eyed up all the leftover PVC from redoing my entire equipment pad.

I build a square base with the PVC, and extra cross piece across the middle with a tee pointing up. Was 1 1/2 inch PVC. I added a reducer to 3/4 right at the top and the beach umbrella slips right in. I'd just hold the base underwater until it filled to make it stable. It doesn't stand much above water level, but more than enough to be under it standing or floating. I doubt the PVC should damage my liner, but I was pretty careful anyway and also made sure it was out if any kids or drunks would possibly be around.

LOL, a friend last fall asked for it and I passed it on so I have to make another one soon.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.