Aqua Logic modifications

NeedMoreSun

LifeTime Supporter
I previously got everything configured utilizing the unused lights relay to restrict the hours where my SWG could run so it wasn't running everytime I turned on the pump to run a waterfall or something. I'm now adding a heat pump. I'd like to set it to be able to extend the run time as needed, at least initially at the start of each Spring for initial warm-up. However, we have time of use electric billing so I need to avoid the 5-6 hours of peak billing and there's no function to set it to extend IF NOT during a certain time period.

Is there any thing in this new crazy plan that wouldn't work? The Aqua Logic has a fireman's switch input. My thoughts are to get an external electric timer that will remain closed most of the day, but open those contacts during peak billing and thereby prevent anything from running, and by doing it this way power isn't cut to the Aqua Logic itself but everything is just prevented from turning on.

Just double checking in case I'm missing something before I order the timer. Since I'll have everything opened up I'm also going to finally add the surge suppressor that's been sitting on my kitchen counter for seven months, lol.

Simplest thing to do is to just set the timer so that you just run the pump and heater during the off peak hours. No need to run the pump during that time either.

Also, you can put the heater on an Aux relay that turns on only during the off peak hours. But I don't see why you need to automatically run the pump during that time either.

Well, it will be set to primarily run during the cheapest billing periods. However, I would like to use the heater extend function so when the temps are low it can just extend the run time. By doing so though it would run right through the peak billing periods as well. Putting the heater on a relay I think if the water temp still shows low the Aqua Logic will still keep running the pump.

If the 5-6 hours overnight turns out to be enough then it won't really matter though :)

Heater Extend
If “Enabled”, the filter extend logic keeps the filter pump running beyond the normal turn-off
time until the pool (or spa) is heated up to the desired temperature setting (see Settings
Menu). Heater extend will NOT cause the filter pump to turn on, it will only delay the turn
off time when the heater is operating.

Basically, I want it to be able to extend, but restrict it from doing so during peak periods.

Otherwise, I'm still floored none of the pool controllers seem to be more functional. To do what they already do the logic needed is obviously already there and all they need to do is add the options OR open it up for us to program it ourselves. Maybe one day!!!

If you put the pump and heater on one relay that is connected in series with a second relay, I think you can do what you want to do. The first controls the normal run time period and the second overrides the first during peak hours and with extended run since it can be set up as an independent AUX relay to turn on and off independent of the main pump relay. However, this will not allow the heater a cool off period.

For a small 50k BTU heat pump is a cooldown an issue? I'm not seeing anything in the manual about it even if it controls the pump.

In any event, in series with the pump breaker won't work because I have a VSP not controlled by the breaker.

For now I'm still waiting for what is now the 3rd concrete person to actually show up to make the pad, and heater gets delivered tomorrow. It will take me awhile to decide how I want to run the plumbing, and by the time I'm done it's something I can just think on before next Spring. For this year I'll just set it to run, needed or not, and cut it back when I see the temp is where I want it. I think utilizing that cutoff input would work, but with days like today where I could have been in the pool if the water was warmer reminds me THIS needs to be a "what if" idea and just get this working!!!

Any, and all, other ideas would be good though and even crazy ones would be fun!!! It would be MORE awesome if the equipment manufacturers would simply make things more functional. All the logic, and all the variables, are already there!!! Just no way to put them together :(

Better yet since then you only need one relay. Does the wiring for the pump go through the AquaLogic main panel. It should if it uses one of the breakers. Just wire both the pump and heat pump to an unused aux relay and use that timer to shut both off during peak hours.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.