New Build - Lots of Decisions! - MIssouri

Aug 4, 2011
We are just finishing our new house and are schedule to begin pool construction in April. This is our second pool build so I know a little but have some questions. Thanks for any input. This site is an awesome resource!

1) SWG vs BBB? I didn't discover this site until we had already built our pool last time. I found it after trying to figure out why I was having so much trouble keeping my pool clear. I quit using the pucks and went to BBB method. This worked but we really didn't like messing with bleach. Is the SWG worth the money and will the results be good?

2) Heater - We already had an outdoor wood stove at our old house so we just piped into it and used a heat exchanger to heat the last pool. We had an autocover so this helped with heating. I really don't want to spend the money on a cover. It was nice but also problematic. We had to replace the ropes ($700) within 3 years. I've heard horror stories on what it cost to use propane. A friend put in a heat pump last year and they seem to like it. My options are: a)electric heat pump b)another wood stove just to heat the pool c) we did put a ground source heater in but i'm not sure about using it. It may be too late since the house is done and we didn't plan for it??

3) Our last pool was just 8.5 ' deep so we had a diving board but it sucked. The kids really want a springy board. We are planning on going deeper with a springy board? Any recommendations?

Thanks for any feedback. If you have any other things that you think are a must for a new pool please share.

3) I'd go 10' deep and get an 8' board (versus 6'). No boards are very springy but you don't really want that either. The depth gives the bit of extra wiggle-room. After all, it should be about safety first then fun.

1). It's really about TFPC. Trouble Free Pool Care method which is about understanding what goes in your pool and why. A SWCG is perfectly aligned with TFPC and results in sparkly pool water with the least intervention required. Bleach is also great, but requires more like daily attention.

Sounds like you have a good grasp of what you want. I love that you know you want to go deeper and get a more springy board- I envy folks who can dive!

The SWG is a great choice along with the TFPC method. At times you may have to augment with liquid chlorine for a fast rise in FC (such as before or after a party or baby accidentally poops in the pool kinda stuff) but its not often. The SWG is meant to provide slow steady chlorination to the pool.

If you are going to heat the pool you'll want some sort of cover to keep the warmth in. Whether it is a automatic cover or solar cover you'll need one.

Ground source if you aren't doing an auto cover is not a economical option. Go with lp or wood but the auto cover is the thing to do. Interesting how many people have cover problems but we have been doing them for 20 plus years and have been very happy with them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.