Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pressure gauge

1. Back To Top    #1

pressure gauge

This may just be the dumbest question of the day but......
    The pressure gauge that screws into my filter is broken.
    What exactly does it do? If everything is running fine and the water is clear and the Kreepy is working, does it really matter if it's working or not?
    NW Arkansas
    17,300 IG Gunite pool approx 16 yrs old (here when we bought the house in 2004)
    1.5 HP pump (rebuilt in '06)
    TA60 Tagelus Sand filter (sand replaced in '05)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pressure gauge

There are no dumb questions. All of us had to learn how things worked at some point!

You want the pressure gauge working so you can tell when the filter is dirty enough that it is time to backwash/clean it. As the filter gets dirtier, the filter pressure will go up. When the pressure rises by perhaps 6 PSI above the pressure reading when the filter is clean, it is time to clean the filter again.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason,
    I'll get a new one
    NW Arkansas
    17,300 IG Gunite pool approx 16 yrs old (here when we bought the house in 2004)
    1.5 HP pump (rebuilt in '06)
    TA60 Tagelus Sand filter (sand replaced in '05)

4. Back To Top    #4

I have the same problem, my pressure gauge is not doing anything, stuck at 60 whether the pump is on or off. Is it a special type of gauge or can I go to HD/Lowe's and just get any gauge. If I take it off water starts coming out, so I can't take it with me.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mvtton
    I have the same problem, my pressure gauge is not doing anything, stuck at 60 whether the pump is on or off. Is it a special type of gauge or can I go to HD/Lowe's and just get any gauge. If I take it off water starts coming out, so I can't take it with me.
    Don't know if Lowe's or HD carry them. Most any farm store will have them for about $4 or you can get them at a pool store for $8-10 typically.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

If you have a 2 speed pump, should you read the pressure gauge when running the pump on high or low? When mine is on low it reads 1 and on high it reads 10.
    Round 24' AGP
    13,500 gallons of cold water
    Sand filter
    BBB
    North Carolina

7. Back To Top    #7

If you are trying to determine when to clean the filter, read the pressure gauge when the pump is on high.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School