Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: stain treatment or acid wash??

1. Back To Top    #1

stain treatment or acid wash??

My pool has some pretty severe staining. It was there when we bought it 3 years ago and it hasnt gotten worse but I am ready to get rid of it so I am looking for feedback on the best option. Several local people suggested I try the Jack's Magic stain removers so I bought the stain ID kit and after doing the test I am 90% sure Iron Scale is my problem.

After adding up all of the things I would need to do the Iron Scale treatment in a 25,000 gallon pool it is going to cost my roughly $700 in supplies.

I figure I should be able to get it acid washed for close to that same price so I am just looking for some opinions on which treatment would be better. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The pics below show the stains. It is worse in the deep end with almost that entire end of the pool being covered. The black spots are just dirt that I haven't brushed away.

pool 1.jpg
    pool 2.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: stain treatment or acid wash??

I do not know BUT I will be watching to learn with you. Please keep us posted about what you do and what happens.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

You've tried holding a chlorine puck on it, and some Vitamin C tablets, and neither lifted the stain? Those are both low cost tests to help determine if a stain is organic or metal.
    How is your water chemistry? Do you know if you have metal in the water? Will you be needing to use a sequestrant after you clear the stains?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

There is iron and there is scale. Not sure about iron scale. Have you tried a vitamin C tablet?

More here on metal and vit C, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I will try the vitamin C test tonight.

I am sure that is what is in one of the packets in the "stain ID" kit from jacks magic. Basically has you test 3 different powders on the stain and identify which combination work best. According to the instructions the one that worked the best for me said it was "iron scale". Not sure why they call it scale but I agree it is probably just staining from iron.

http://www.jacksmagic.com/pdfs/FAQ-I...-Treatment.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

If it is iron staining would acid washing be a good solution? I am worried that even if I do the treatment and remove the stain that the water will still have all of that metal in it so I will have to run sequestrant from now on so I might be better off just draining, acid washing and starting over with fresh water.

6. Back To Top    #6

There are some people here who know more about iron than I do who will chime in. Yes, you might need use a sequestrant you can also make a homemade filter with poly fill that will filter out iron once it is in suspension in the water. Quite a few people here have done that.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

If you are considering draining and acid wash, you should first test your fill water to see if it is just going to add back water with metals in it.

Where are you getting your water from?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

The vitamin C test seemed to work I ended up doing an absorbic acid treatment and I am pretty thrilled with the results. Now I just have to get the fill water tested and if it has low metal content I will probably drain/dilute a significant portion of the water just so I can get it out of there nad hopefully not have to use expensive sequestrants long term. As usual this sight was super helpful figuring out the best approach.

IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1586.JPG

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow. You should attach the before and after photos side-by-side as it is a HUGE difference!!
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

10. Back To Top    #10

Amazeballs!!

11. Back To Top    #11

If you're not on well, dilution will likely help. Keeping ph low-Er, eg 7.2, will also help.

If you want a cheaper date on sequestrant, try poolgeek.com and Metal Magic -- unless you're on SWG.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

12. Back To Top    #12

Wow, looks great! Nice work!
    TFP Moderator