New Pool Build Pearland, TX (Houston area)

Love the patio! We will be expanding ours out once my bank account recovers from the beating it got. Tried to get some pics of our hue lights this weekend, but my photog skills are minimal and I guess I need to research how to best capture colored light in pictures.

We are ready for plaster too - but not sure how this week is going to play out. I may take the opportunity to get some landscaping quotes and get that going.

Good luck with that. We were quoted around $6500 for irrigation, dirt work, sod, river rock, labor, and all palms, plants, flowers etc.. Just to give you an idea.

Ok speedstir will be on the list too, what about those hair net things for the skimmer? Anyone have a link to buy them?

Ah yes, irrigation and landscape. So far one quote on irrigation repair is about $1550. No one would even give me a guess on landscape costs, so we need to wait until the waterfall is done and then will have them come over again to see what it looks like. $6500 though OUCH!!!

I'm still reading about those HUE lights, seems cool. Got a fan and just need lights now. :)

So we were woken up last night to this loud weird noise. At first I thought it was one of the dogs or the cat making weird snoring noises, but I checked them and discovered it was coming from outside. I thought oh no is something wrong with our pool! Why would it be making weird noises, the equipment isn't even on. Maybe it turned on by itself and the heater is ready to blow or something. Then I thought oh no what if an animal is drowning in the rainwater in our pool. I took a flashlight outside and when I shined it on the pool the noise stopped. Oh great I thought...yep...FROGS!!! The vast amount of rainfall we've had brought them out. I found two in our pool who must have been making the racket as it was probably echoing off the walls. Got them out of the pool and shooed them into the yard. Went back to bed and then heard it again, but softer this time and was able to fall asleep....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good luck with that. We were quoted around $6500 for irrigation, dirt work, sod, river rock, labor, and all palms, plants, flowers etc.. Just to give you an idea.

We were considering artificial grass and a small putting green. The cost for that plus the landscaping was around 25k. No chance of spending that much at this time. So we are now just going to re-sod and maybe start some climbing creepers to cover the fence. Rest is going to be DIY for the most part.

Ok speedstir will be on the list too, what about those hair net things for the skimmer? Anyone have a link to buy them?

Ah yes, irrigation and landscape. So far one quote on irrigation repair is about $1550. No one would even give me a guess on landscape costs, so we need to wait until the waterfall is done and then will have them come over again to see what it looks like. $6500 though OUCH!!!

I'm still reading about those HUE lights, seems cool. Got a fan and just need lights now. :)

So we were woken up last night to this loud weird noise. At first I thought it was one of the dogs or the cat making weird snoring noises, but I checked them and discovered it was coming from outside. I thought oh no is something wrong with our pool! Why would it be making weird noises, the equipment isn't even on. Maybe it turned on by itself and the heater is ready to blow or something. Then I thought oh no what if an animal is drowning in the rainwater in our pool. I took a flashlight outside and when I shined it on the pool the noise stopped. Oh great I thought...yep...FROGS!!! The vast amount of rainfall we've had brought them out. I found two in our pool who must have been making the racket as it was probably echoing off the walls. Got them out of the pool and shooed them into the yard. Went back to bed and then heard it again, but softer this time and was able to fall asleep....

We just had our sprinkler system repaired, as well as the whole backyard re-done with 2 new zones. I used Aquatec, on the recommendation of several people. Originally, I was going to use my neighbor's sprinkler guy, but he was tough to get ahold of. Anyway, Aquatec was AWESOME, and the foreman, Fernando, was great. It was $1400.

Yea the line item for the sprinkler being put back in for the back and side of house where they moved all heavy equipment through was $1400. So seems fairly uniform in price. Dirt work (grading) was $250. Sod was 5 pallets @ $195 each. So I would like to leave it at that and do the rest of the work myself; wife however wants it to actually look like it was not done by a preschooler....so "we" decided to go with the landscapers for the rest. But just to give you an idea....it's really not too bad if all you wanted to pay for from a company was sprinkler, sod, and dirt work; then do the rest yourself. My thumb just isn't green enough apparently.

Good to know the irrigation price is in line with others. I would love to be able to landscape myself, but I do not have a greenthumb or the skills, so we'll have to hire a landscaper.

Yay, no rain yet today so the waterfall rock guys are back and the tile crew is replacing some splitface tile.

Definitely be home when something big happens. The rock crew was not making stepping stones on the right side to allow for walking up to the jumping rock, so I went out there to explain it to them. Good thing you can saw cut moss rock. They made the tops flat, so you can walk on them now.

Also the tile crew is chipping out some splitface travertine that I didn't mark for replacement, so I am glad they have an eye for what needs to be replaced.

PB isn't sure when we will get plaster, the ground needs to dry out a bit first and I think we are expecting more rain this week. Not sure we want to spend an extra $450 to hand cast 3 bags of abalone shells...

Your waterfall is really taking shape. The tile and ledge on your spa are so elegant! My PB said that once they run the waterfall they'll probably need to add smaller rocks to even out the water flow. I just started calling for bids on irrigation. I am dreading it! My yard has 12 zones...I know the bobcat alone had to take out at least three of those zones. Looking forward to seeing more pics!

Definitely get the shells. You will not regret it. The shells reflect the sun in an amazing way, with different areas reflecting depending on what time of the day it is. If I had to do it over again I would get even more shells. If you have to choose between glass or shells, get the shells. Just my two cents...

Your waterfall is really taking shape. The tile and ledge on your spa are so elegant! My PB said that once they run the waterfall they'll probably need to add smaller rocks to even out the water flow. I just started calling for bids on irrigation. I am dreading it! My yard has 12 zones...I know the bobcat alone had to take out at least three of those zones. Looking forward to seeing more pics!

Oh, we'll have to see if ours needs that too once they run it. Wow 12 zones! We have 8, so not as bad.

Definitely get the shells. You will not regret it. The shells reflect the sun in an amazing way, with different areas reflecting depending on what time of the day it is. If I had to do it over again I would get even more shells. If you have to choose between glass or shells, get the shells. Just my two cents...

We decided we'd rather spend the $450 on patio furniture, but I keeping going back to wanting them...

So they were able to finish the waterfall on Tuesday, but then it rained and rained. Today was the first dry day and they were out to clean and drain the pool, so it is drying out now and if it dries out well enough we are looking at plaster for early next week!

4 ton moss rock waterfall with bench underneath and step ups on both sides to access the large jumping rocks.

We would like a Japanese garden for the landscape (part of our family's heritage), so I'm trying to research Japanese gardens and plants to see what might work here in Houston. Unfortunately it is too hot for most of the plants. I have always wanted a Japanese Maple tree, but they don't do well here and definitely need shade. We don't have any shade to put one under yet...other maples would do well here, but they grow so tall and I'm not sure how the roots would be so close to a pool. I am so happy though that I found a Japanese cherry blossom tree that does well in our zone! I hope those roots would be ok near a pool. And I think for the area around the right side and top of the pool for a dog run we'll use large stepping stones for the path with some gravel or mulch between them. I've seen photos of Suz and Helen's pools and like the stepping stones they've done. If anyone can offer landscape help and recommendations please post away. :)

These are some of the plants we were interested in, but were told by one landscape company that most won't do well here:

Dwarf or regular Japanese maple
Autumn Blaze Maple
Cherry blossom
Clumping bamboo
Beni Kaze Japanese Forest Grass
Japanese blood grass
Kerria Japonica
Japanese Andromeda
Hosta
Nandina
Mount Laurel
Chinese Fringe
Wavy hair grass tatra gold
Drift roses

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.