New Pool - Missouri Dig Start 3/7/16

Blacknblu73

Bronze Supporter
Mar 1, 2016
Blue Springs, MO
So... I'm new here - and my pool construction is scheduled to start 3/7 (this coming Monday). Yay!!! It was supposed to start last October 2015, but schedules being what they were, and utility easements as well (I mean, who else has a 20' utility easement in their backyard?!?!). In any event, we begin our construction this coming Monday!!!. Equipment I've purchased so far (outside of my contractor)
  • Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump
  • Hayward Pro Grid 72 SQ. FT. DE Filter Only (In The Swim) - with 2" side mount multi port valve
The contractor is going to provide the gas heater, 8' Diving Board, Salt Water Chlorinator, and of course - the 18 x 36 inground vinyl lined pool, 8.5' deep, 3.5' shallow.

The pool will set here

0dd42c65154b3b894c255e20eb402bc6_zps172tihwh.jpg

And here is another angle

f0a017d52f2260c1cc8f4b541c4f76ed_zpshdxkvfk3.jpg

And another

f9046a335a4b6209c2866e7a53ba3fb3_zpscdbagdgh.jpg

As you can probably tell, it'll be a "tight" fit between the fence and deck, but that 20' utility easement didn't do us any favors. We originally were going with a "Tru Elle" around the deck, but that was quashed. Some of the biggest obstacles now are running electricity from the other side of the house, and getting enough space around the pool beside the deck and the fence. I'll post updates as the construction begins through completion.

Welcome! What does your plan look like?

I feel your easement pain! Ours is 17.5 feet off the back fence line and runs right through the middle of our yard. This left us with a 13.2' wide pool. Not what I wanted, but we are making the best of what we have to work with- it's better than the empty unused yard we have had for 14 years!

I don't have a copy of the plan, but it's pretty much a rectangle backing to halfway of the deck to fence (that's the deep end), and the equipment pad in the corner by the house.

The salesman for our contractor "highly" recommended a 16 x 36, but we could only get a 6' diving board with that narrow of a pool. I suspect his recommendation was based on $ since it was going to cost us the same regardless. So, we opted for the 18' instead of 16'. That opens up new concerns as I have an 11 year old son who might think he can fly from the deck to the deep end (I blame his Mom). If I didn't know the actual contractor, I'd have gone with someone else - just because the salesman hasn't been above board this whole time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't wait to see this one!

So are you telling me YOUR son (your mini me if I know most boys) will not be following you in his fun! LOL

Kim (Kindergarten teacher of 31 years that has hear of and seen the results of kids and dad's play)

Sounds like a good plan!

I grew up with a 18'x36' vinyl pool and it is big.

Bigger than most backyard pools - but a great size for pool parties and lap swimming.

On the utility easement... we are suffering from 35' rear property setback here, completely changing the placement and shape of the pool i imagined.

Wow! 35'! I wonder why they have such distances? Are they planning on running a road through there? I don't feel so bad with 20' now. To the left (where we were going to do the True Ell) I think we're going to put in a fire pit area (still not sure). I have all these grand ideas, but with 3 kids, I'm not sure they'll buy into the backyard lifestyle like I have planned. In any event - I'm excited, and looking forward to the experience!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yay!! A diving board!! You are obviously *fun* people and its going to be great having your kids (and their friends) under your watchful eye in your pool rather than...who knows where? I love watching kids have a good splash making cannonball or dive competition....its gonna be great!

As to the temptation of jumping off the deck-my first thought was how in New Orleans a lot of the houses in the French Quarter have bits of broken glass accents on the top of the cement walls. I bet that would limit those jumps! < just kidding....just kidding.. sort of ;) >

My dig started today! YAY! We had to make a few concessions, and go with the 16X36. It turns out our city code requires 5' minimum distance from waterline to easements and waterline to decks. In any event, we upgraded our light to the pentair intellibrite 5G color (with control pad), and still got to keep the 8' diving board by setting it back further.

Weather permitting, they hope to be complete with construction in 7 days. I expect Murphy's law to apply, and storms to roll in sometime during the week (lol). Here's the most recent pic
ShallowEndDig_zpsf2yiriu2.jpg

Question-What is the purpose of the retaining wall and where will it be located?
The top left of the picture is about 2' lower than the bottom right. Opposed to building up the rest of the pool to be level with the highest point, we cut the yard down to the lowest point and will put in a retaining wall around the pool. There was concern, over time, with the amount of settling that the concrete would crack/break. That, and there would have been a skirt of dirt all around 60% pool (which would have also buried a portion of our deck posts).

It sounded reasonable, but I realistically could have a real big hook in my mouth right now - lol.

No hook this time! We almost ALWAYS say to dig down instead of adding to bring up for the very reasons given. It is solid ground and should not settle as much as added dirt. Happy, happy, joy, joy you did the correct thing! The wall will be fun to pretty up too!

Kim

Another question: the electrician doing the work recommended the Easy Touch with Screenlogic. He also didn't have details on what I'd need, but said to go online to get it. Now I'm lost.
I have a Pentair 011018 Intelliflo Pump, Pentair 601001 led color light, Pentair 520555 IC40 Intellichlor, and a Pentair 460734 Mastertemp gas heater for my pool.

Since I have all the parts already, which Easy Touch model should I get, and do they come integrated with Screenlogic? They've all been assembled, and are just waiting to be connected by the electrician.

Thanks in advance.

I'm not an expert but have been discussing a new build with a contractor and I was told 2 main drains is the industry standard now. It has to do with safety. Both PB's I've spoken with quoted my build with 2 skimmers so that must be common too. The screen logic kit allows you to control the pump and lights with your phone. At first I was planning to go with the screen logic but the more I thought about it, I realized I didn't need it. Everything can be easily controlled on the Easy Touch panel and the screen logic is a $900 upgrade that can always be added later if you have the easy touch.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.