Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Addin salt without a SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Addin salt without a SWG

Before opening my pool for the season I always take a refresher course in pool school. While reading about different chemicals I noticed this regarding adding salt without a SWG..."For improved water feel without a SWG, try levels around 2,000. These levels are less then one tenth of the salt level in ocean water, which has around 35,000 ppm of salt. People vary in their ability to taste low levels of salt. A few people can taste salt levels as low as 1,000, others not until 3,500 or more."

I don't have a SWG but wonder how beneficial it would be. Does anyone else do this? And, how beneficial is it other than feel. How would it affect FC etc?
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Addin salt without a SWG

Sure, plenty of people add salt for the other benefits besides SWG. It will not impact your FC at all. Most SWG pools are around 3000ppm +/-500. 2000-3000 would be good to try.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

What are the other benefits other than feel. Also how would I know how much to add?
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

4. Back To Top    #4

It just feels better, softer and silkier. Some people say it feels better on the eyes too. Everyone who swims in our pool comments on how nice it is on their eyes. Then I tell them there is bleach in the pool and the chlorine is around 10ppm and they freak out! LOL!

Poolmath can tell you how much to add. Set your target at 2000 and see about it.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Even though my pool is cold, I did jump in after adding salt. It definitely feels "softer" - as for other benefits, can't tell you.

I have a (roughly) 30K gallon pool - I put in 200 pounds of plain old water softener salt. I just ordered a salt test kit so I don't know PPM yet, but guessing it's around 1000ppm, so I may add some more.

It won't hurt anything. BUT! Be careful how you backwash if you need to, salt water will kill grass
    28K Gallon old-skool plaster hole in the back yard in desperate need of an acid wash and a fixed skimmer diverter (yes, it's still broken)
    Hayward SuperPumpVS pushing some giant hayward cartridge filter setup
    SharcVacXL and Zodiac G2 to keep things clean

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    It just feels better, softer and silkier. Some people say it feels better on the eyes too. Everyone who swims in our pool comments on how nice it is on their eyes. Then I tell them there is bleach in the pool and the chlorine is around 10ppm and they freak out! LOL!

Poolmath can tell you how much to add. Set your target at 2000 and see about it.
    Thanks pooldv love pool,ath. Didn't think about using it for salt

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_N View Post
    Even though my pool is cold, I did jump in after adding salt. It definitely feels "softer" - as for other benefits, can't tell you.

I have a (roughly) 30K gallon pool - I put in 200 pounds of plain old water softener salt. I just ordered a salt test kit so I don't know PPM yet, but guessing it's around 1000ppm, so I may add some more.

It won't hurt anything. BUT! Be careful how you backwash if you need to, salt water will kill grass
    luckily my backwash dumps into overgrown city property behind my house. That'll be an added benefit of hopefully killing some of it. Gotta get a salt test kit.

Thanks guys!
    Montgomery, AL

7. Back To Top    #7

Is that safe to do with flagstone coping?
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

8. Back To Top    #8

That is one of the great debates in pool land. My flagstone coping has not changed or deteriorated noticeably in the four years it has been installed around our saltwater pool.
    TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

I think there is some middle ground here with enough salt to make it feel nice and not enough to harm the landscape.
    As far as hardscape goes, my pool builder used lots of limestone and I'm not getting any salt water in that. I've already had some issues with my natural rock loosening up in the mortar, and I will not introduce any salt into those cracks.
    15K IG, WetEdge technology lined pool, StaRite pump, Hayward DE filter, Hayward Navigator, Zodiac MX8 (junked).

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I can tell you Bermuda grass doesn't even flinch at 3500ppm salt water It just depends on the type of grass or landscape you have...
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

11. Back To Top    #11

^and how much fresh water grass or plants get...eg a water-starved plant might react to constant salt build up if no freshwater...but generally at these levels its not fatal to plants that get additional water.
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains