Is it time for a clarifier?

adamt

Feb 10, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
So for the last few weeks I've had a problem with a lot tiny debris just floating around the surface of my pool. And I can't seem to get rid of it.

I've cleaned my filter. I added the right amount of DE. I run it for 8 hours a day. I skim. I brush. I even have a thigh high sock on my skimmer basket.

The water is crystal clear except the surface.

My levels are:

FC 4
pH 7.4
TA 90
CH 300
CYA I added CYA on Saturday so I'm waiting a few days to get a proper read

What else can I do to get rid of this dirt on the surface?

IMG_3660.jpg

A clarifier won't do anything for this, this looks like typical organic debris falling on your pool faster than the skimmer can filter it. My best advice is to make sure that your water level is at the right height for your skimmer (you should see a distinct flow of water over the weir door) and possibly increase your pump run time. If you have a main drain you might try closing it to see if that helps get more suction to the skimmer.

Again, a clarifier is rarely needed in the first place and won't help at all in a situation like this. The stuff floating on the top (looks like a fluffy seed, much like the cottonwood seeds I will deal with here in a couple months) has to be physically removed, either by you or the skimmer.

If you are using using a leaf rake on the surface of the pool to clean up leaves, you could try buying a finer mesh bag for it. The even sell very fine nylon mesh for it, similar to what you would use as a skimmer sock. You then skim the surface with your pole skimmer to remove all the big debris and then, very, very slowly, you use the finer mesh bag to capture the pollen/dust that sits on the surface (you need to go very slowly so as to not create waves that will push the debris away from the skimmer bag).

Sorry, I know it's frustrating but anyone that lives in an area with any significant vegetation tends to get this kind of stuff floating on the surface. There's really no way to get rid of it easily and anything you try chemically will likely cause you more chemical problems than actually solve the debris issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.