Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is it time for a clarifier?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is it time for a clarifier?

So for the last few weeks I've had a problem with a lot tiny debris just floating around the surface of my pool. And I can't seem to get rid of it.

I've cleaned my filter. I added the right amount of DE. I run it for 8 hours a day. I skim. I brush. I even have a thigh high sock on my skimmer basket.

The water is crystal clear except the surface.

My levels are:

FC 4
    pH 7.4
    TA 90
    CH 300
    CYA I added CYA on Saturday so I'm waiting a few days to get a proper read

What else can I do to get rid of this dirt on the surface?

IMG_3660.jpg
    22,000 gallon in ground pool with pebble finish. Pentair DE filter with Pentair VS pump. Built in the 70s but completely redone (including new pebble finish, equipment, and plumbing) in August 2015. K-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Is it time for a clarifier?

A clarifier won't do anything for this, this looks like typical organic debris falling on your pool faster than the skimmer can filter it. My best advice is to make sure that your water level is at the right height for your skimmer (you should see a distinct flow of water over the weir door) and possibly increase your pump run time. If you have a main drain you might try closing it to see if that helps get more suction to the skimmer.

Again, a clarifier is rarely needed in the first place and won't help at all in a situation like this. The stuff floating on the top (looks like a fluffy seed, much like the cottonwood seeds I will deal with here in a couple months) has to be physically removed, either by you or the skimmer.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

If you are using using a leaf rake on the surface of the pool to clean up leaves, you could try buying a finer mesh bag for it. The even sell very fine nylon mesh for it, similar to what you would use as a skimmer sock. You then skim the surface with your pole skimmer to remove all the big debris and then, very, very slowly, you use the finer mesh bag to capture the pollen/dust that sits on the surface (you need to go very slowly so as to not create waves that will push the debris away from the skimmer bag).

Sorry, I know it's frustrating but anyone that lives in an area with any significant vegetation tends to get this kind of stuff floating on the surface. There's really no way to get rid of it easily and anything you try chemically will likely cause you more chemical problems than actually solve the debris issue.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

What they said. Plus, experiment a little with redirecting the return eyeballs to see if you can improve the surface flow.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

What else can I do to get rid of this dirt on the surface?
    What is your pump run time? Think about increasing it if it's less than say 10 hours.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try a silt leaf rake. I had no idea that was even a thing. I just ordered one through Amazon. I'll update if it doesn't do the trick, but I have high hopes it will work.
    22,000 gallon in ground pool with pebble finish. Pentair DE filter with Pentair VS pump. Built in the 70s but completely redone (including new pebble finish, equipment, and plumbing) in August 2015. K-2006.

7. Back To Top    #7

A skimmer sock will help, too..... It is that time of year and you just have to deal with it! A closer eye on filter pressure may be in order, too..... it will get clogged quicker.