Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cutting larger intake holes question

1. Back To Top    #1

Cutting larger intake holes question

Hi
    I have a newer Intex ultra frame 26 ft round pool with the two small intake holes. I was wondering if I could just cut one of the holes out and put a normal size intake connector and then just close off the other small intake hole? Would this work? And if so how would a guy close off the other intake

Hope this all makes sense?
    Thanks
    Intex ultra frame 26'x52" above ground pool
    Intex ultra 18'x46" above ground pool retired

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cutting larger intake holes question

not entirely sure on all the technical stuff, but I do remember seeing this thread, and we enlarged our holes to fit the new valve inlet/outlet set-ups we bought off amazon. Give this a read and see if it answers your question.....if not, post back and I'll see if I can dig up the links of the stuff we bought. I do remember we did it while the pool was filled with water, using a bowl pressed up against the liner from the inside, lol. It worked!!

Cutting Larger Intake Return holes in your Intex
    22' x 52" Intex UltraFrame ABG, 10,500 gallons
    using TF-100 test kit
    Krystal Klear 633T Filter Type B pump - 2,500 GPH
    Intex wall-mount surface skimmer

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. That's exactly what I want to do, but what do I do with the second intake hole? What's the best way to plug it up?

4. Back To Top    #4

I cut both of mine out and use one for a dedicated vacuum port and the other for a water feature. I think you could plug it with about anything you wanted that fit snugly. A capped piece of pipe, or a rubber bung and a hose clamp?
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

5. Back To Top    #5

Hold on!

Why not do it up right and add a skimmer, and the have multiple returns using the extra holes?
    Adding a Hayward Thru-the-Wall Skimmer to Intex Metal Frame Pool (PICS!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not a plumber. This stuff is very hard for me to figure out. (I'm a graphic designer) I've given it a lot of thought to do the thru wall skimmer, but what do I do with the silly 2 little holes?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Piper Mike View Post
    I'm not a plumber. This stuff is very hard for me to figure out. (I'm a graphic designer) I've given it a lot of thought to do the thru wall skimmer, but what do I do with the silly 2 little holes?
    Multiple returns!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

What do I do with all the returns? What would they connect to?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Piper Mike View Post
    What do I do with all the returns? What would they connect to?
    You would use the old suction lines as returns and connect them together with a Tee. But if you're not the handy type, it probably would be better if you didn't start cutting on the pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

)
    I can do the simple cutting and hooking up one hose or thru wall skimmer. It's all the other holes I don't know what to do. But thank you kindly for your advise
    Mike

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Philc
    Any chance you have a picture of your finished product?

12. Back To Top    #12

http://www.troublefreepool.com/attac...5&d=1442505101
    This was before I replaced the flexible lines with rigid PVC pipe. The intex pump is used for a water feature.
    Intex 22' X 52" Ultra Frame AGP ( 12K gallons) , Intex 633T 2500 GPH (41 GPM) running Doughboy Silica II sand filter (16"dia. 1.4 ' S.A.) ( And doing it quite well, I might add!) Hayward through the wall skimmer, TF100 with Speed Stir. Hard plumbed, Intex fountain ...........

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Hold on!

Why not do it up right and add a skimmer, and the have multiple returns using the extra holes?
    Adding a Hayward Thru-the-Wall Skimmer to Intex Metal Frame Pool (PICS!

This can be done with Intex Deluxe Wall-Mounted Skimmer as well, correct?
    Just started considering mods for set up time next year in bigger pool. Practicing cutting holes larger with 8' ESP I drained out yesterday to wrap up the season. Really would like to have larger hoses without bottlenecking them to smaller fittings but I am worried about ruining the pool

Just received larger 2500gph pumps to replace the two 530gph ones that were running the LED Sprayers and the 1000gph that ran the pool itself. The difference in the flow was night and day (tested it before I drained pool out) but for the sprayers it was SOOOOO overkill, didn't even get water into pool
    (going to have to figure that part out still, maybe more sprayers to split the pressure )

Please feel free to recommend fittings or methods, I'm a complete NOOB and need all the guidance I can get.
    Here's my intended set-up if all goes well:
    12' x 30" Easy set Pool (waiting pool only
    , don't want to worry about insurance or added risk of kids/their friends doing something too crazy)
    LED Multi-Color Fountain Spayer (x 2)
    Intex Filter Cartridge Pump 2,500 GPH (got them on sale so I bought 3, intentions are two running the pool and skimmer and one to run the sprayers)

Thanks in advance!!!