Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dimmer switch

1. Back To Top    #1

Dimmer switch

Is there any reason a pool light can't be on a dimmer switch? I have a color changing LED that is on a standard switch.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dimmer switch

I do not believe any of the LED lights sold for pools are dimable. So the short answer is no it won't work.

Only some LEDs are dimable. And they each require a specific switch to work properly. Some switches work with some, some with others. But I'm unaware of any LED pool lights that dim.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Yeah, current LEDs and dimmer switches rarely get along well. Even the dimmable ones are hit-and-miss overall.

The problem lies in where the switch is located. LEDs are run by DC, while the power coming to them is AC. So there is circuitry built in to rectify the AC to DC. LEDs are actually very easy to dim, lower the voltage and they emit less light. But that is on the DC side and the dimmer switch is on the AC side, and typical rectifier circuits are designed with a single voltage in mind (110-130 volts in the US). Messing with that voltage will usually just turn off the light.

Your best bet would be to see if you can find a remote controlled color changing LED that will fit your current fixture and then you can dim it remotely.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you both, I'm glad I asked first.
    Inground 13,200 gal Vinyl, Pentair 3/4 hp pump, Pentair Sand Dollar filter, Polaris 280

Pool School, Pool Math, CYA to FC ratio chart, Testing Kits