Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stone Scrape Pool Finish- Should I???

1. Back To Top    #1

Stone Scrape Pool Finish- Should I???

Obviously new here. Just starting the pool, excavation and forming is complete. Have looked at several surfaces and the pool designer/builder is recommending a Stone Scrape Finish- The builder is touting this as superior finish requiring less maintenace (brushing) and it does look good when viewed at other customer sites. The question, $5200 seems a little high to me? Thoughts?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stone Scrape Pool Finish- Should I???

How big is your pool? Is that the total cost or how much it would be to upgrade? Depending on your pool size, that proce might be in line with what I've found. We will be going with Stonescapes Tropics Blue which is one of the higher end mixes because it already has abalone mixed in, plus it has a non-standard mix of red, green, and blue pebbles mixed in.

I think the concensus around here is that pebble is a longer lasting product if cared for properly, and it doesn't have the same negative mottling tendencies as quartz, as long as it's installed well. It is rougher though, so you have to decide if you're ok with that.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JamieP View Post
    How big is your pool? Is that the total cost or how much it would be to upgrade? Depending on your pool size, that proce might be in line with what I've found. We will be going with Stonescapes Tropics Blue which is one of the higher end mixes because it already has abalone mixed in, plus it has a non-standard mix of red, green, and blue pebbles mixed in.

I think the concensus around here is that pebble is a longer lasting product if cared for properly, and it doesn't have the same negative mottling tendencies as quartz, as long as it's installed well. It is rougher though, so you have to decide if you're ok with that.
    The roughness is not a concern. Pool Size is 36x14, and I was looking at tropics blue also, the $5200 was the upgrade prices. I am all about longevity for the price.

4. Back To Top    #4

Our pool is 42x24 and the cost to upgrade from colored plaster to Wet Edge Pearl Matrix pebble was just shy of $9k.
    Under Construction - Free form in-ground pool/spa, 24x42, 815 sq ft, 119' perimeter, 3.5-8 ft depth, 26,500 gallons, Triton II sand filter, IntelliChlor SWG, 3 Intellibrite LED lights, IntelliFlo VS pump, Easy Touch Control System, raised planter box & patio space TBD........

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by auto View Post
    The roughness is not a concern. Pool Size is 36x14, and I was looking at tropics blue also, the $5200 was the upgrade prices. I am all about longevity for the price.
    Our pool is a 116' perimeter, 38'x30' freeform L pool. I was quoted $6612 total for Tropics Blue with no extra shells, $450 more for an extra bag of hand cast shells at the end. This includes the pool prep/cleaning and all the fittings. This isn't the cheapest I found, but the company I feel most comfortable with. I am working directly with them as well, so maybe that helps. I will also get a 5% discount if I pay cash.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:

6. Back To Top    #6

My PB quoted me $9500 to upgrade from diamondbrite quartz finish to pebblesheen, so your estimate sound like a bargain!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

7. Back To Top    #7

My PB quoted:
    Stonescapes Pebble Finish (pool& spa) - $5785.00 RECOMMENDED
    Remove and replace all returnfittings (pool & spa) - $180.00 we choseAqua White/bag of shells no charge

Replace drain cover per code(pool & spa) - $100.00

Post Resurface Startup - $395.00
    This process is very critical tothe stability of your new pool surface. We use a variety of chemicals andbrushing to make sure the surface cures properly. I will not warranty the newsurface unless this process is done by us.
    Clean filter - $120.00
    This will need to be done beforecompletion of job to ensure that all filter elements are in good shape.
    Of course the title,coping and decking are all separate pricing

15k gals 90ft perimeter
    plaster-stonescape aqua white, buff leuders coping, Verona Borba Turquoise w/Borba Turquoise Deco
    Woodp721
    15K gal. 12X80 plaster-stonescape aqua white, buff leuders coping, Verona Borba Turquoise w/Borba Turquoise Deco

8. Back To Top    #8

We don't have a spa, but my understanding is that having one adds significantly to the cost of the pebble application.