Owner / Builder - Sacramento - With Pictures and Prices!

Plumber came out and did some initial work and trenching Thursday and Friday. Steel will be here Monday morning. My concern over the size of the baja shelf and transition from shallow to deep has subsided a bit, but I haven't had time to do any measurements or really look at it for that much. I have a day off tomorrow so will decide what to do then.

IMG_6477_zpspd4zhrvq-1.jpg

IMG_6478_zpsc3gxfhr5-1.jpg

IMG_6479_zpss7mcetwe-1.jpg

IMG_6479_zpss7mcetwe-1.jpg

IMG_6538_zpsonhfeocb-1.jpg

IMG_6539_zpsbfx4k6yg-1.jpg

IMG_6540_zpss71bxrvo-1.jpg

IMG_6541_zpshpmfykuu-1.jpg

Steel is done. Plumber is supposed to be finished by the end of the week. Hoping to pass inspection and get gunite next week. My work schedule really isn't cooperating with me being home during any phases of construction like I had planned. Checking out the work via flashlight when I get home is not helping with my stress levels. Luckily I'll be home till 11am or so the next two days and can at least meet the plumber in person.

IMG_6598_zpsk7eiqi6j-1.jpg

IMG_6597_zpsz21piosb-1.jpg

IMG_6596_zpsnfft07qs-1.jpg

Since you will be home during daylight today you can take a tape measure and make sure everything is long, big, wide, deep, etc enough. Add about 3 inches for gunite and plaster (might want to ask your PB). THIS is the time to make changes or tweaks if needed.

Kim

All these people letting work get in the way of a good pool build!

Hi Kim, this is an owner-builder so my PB is me. If I had any questions for myself it would be "what am I paying you for because you're never here!". Plumber is supposed to finish up tomorrow and I just scheduled my pre-gunite inspection for 4/11. I won't be here for that either, but my wife will be home. I met the plumber this morning before work and he seemed very invested in the pool. He made suggestions and explained the reasoning behind them. When I was choosing contractors, a lot of my decisions were based on who seemed to treat this as not just another job or bid, but appreciated the amount of time and financial commitment I was putting in. I'll post some pictures this weekend of the completed plumbing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Gunite was competed on 4/13. I was pretty impressed with how well they were able to shape everything and add the details. I would have loved to have been home and watched the whole thing, but my wife sent me pictures of the process throughout the day. The crew left some directions regarding how to care for the gunite. Water 2-3 times a day for 30 minutes for the next 10 days and no plaster for 10 days.

Of course there was one minor hiccup. As I left for work this morning I glanced over at the new, energy efficient water heater that my buddy (licensed plumber) and I had installed on Sunday. It looked so much nicer than the behemoth 75 gallon, 20 year veteran it had replaced. It was tucked away nicely in the corner and the markings advertising how fantastic and efficient this water heater was could be seen from across the garage. As was the mist of water that was spraying about 6" out from the shutoff valve.

Due to where it was leaking, I wasn't able to just shut off water to the heater, I had to shutoff water to the whole house. I did that real quick, let my wife know and left for work. For those keeping score, I have a 7 week old at home, my AC is still disconnected because of the required excavator access and pipe trenching and now no water.

I spent the rest of the day at work picturing my gunite shell crumbling to pieces because it was going to go without water for most of the day. On the way home I picked up a 100' hose, and with that and two other hoses I connected to my neighbors hose bibb and watered the gunite. My plumber buddy is working some big job in the bay and wasn't able to come out today to fix it, but will hopefully be out here tomorrow night.

Here's some updated pics...

They did a great job with the shaping. It is like art when they do it. THANKS wife for taking pics!

OHNO on the water! Yikes! Good neighbor for the use of the hose bib but NO HOT SHOWER?? or clothes washing??

You can hook up a sprinkler to help with the watering of the shell but it does not allow for full bonding with the pool like hand watering does.

Kim (hoping your buddy can swing by to fix the water heater!)

Tile is done. Next up is concrete deck and coping. I can't wait to have the trenches filled and patio poured. Once that's done, I'll have a place to put my new AC. We've been sans AC for close to a month and walking around the backyard when watering the gunite can get pretty messy. It doesn't help that I'm usually in my flip flops so always end up scraping my foot on something. Hoping for patio next week, but we shall see.

IMG_6925_zpsijxwijwv-1.jpg

IMG_6926_zpsmpr3fczg-1.jpg

IMG_6927_zpsmzqpnsgi-1.jpg

IMG_6928_zpsizrft8ns-1.jpg

IMG_6929_zpskjjcyunz-1.jpg

IMG_6930_zps5ewugnb1-1.jpg

IMG_6931_zps737bpuc5-1.jpg

Looks great! I'm finishing up a project over here in Rocklin, about the same stage as you. I saw in your bid post you were/are going with a separate pour cantilever decking. Any reason why? I had a site visit from my concrete contractor today and he told me it was something I may want to think about with our project. Curious for any input. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your project.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.