Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clogged skimmer pipe.

1. Back To Top    #1

Clogged skimmer pipe.

I was sucking up a lot of leaves out of my pool and I think I managed to suck up too many at once and clog the pipe that goes from my skimmer basket to the pump. I get a little flow through it but not much. I tried sticking a garden hose in the line to backflush it but no luck. Any suggestions here? I assume pool companies have some sort of pressure device which will clear this if I can't?

Thanks,
    ~13000 inground plaster
    150sq Ft Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clogged skimmer pipe.

Did some searching and found I can buy a drain cleaning bladder which attaches to the garden hose to give it a better seal. I'll try that. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    ~13000 inground plaster

3. Back To Top    #3

Clogged skimmer pipe.

It's called a Drain King. You'll need that.

In the future, go get yourself a Hayward inline leaf canister and always use that. Never suck large leaves into your pool plumbing. I clogged my vacuum line with mesquite debris once.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

If the drain king doesn't work then you can get a plumber's snake and push it through.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Tried the drain king.. didn't work.. it seems like I have enough flow that the water can get through but not build up enough pressure to push the leaves out. Maybe I need to clog it up more.. lol. Perhaps next I'll try the snake.. :\
    ~13000 inground plaster

6. Back To Top    #6

Let me just offer.... this shouldn't happen..... but some genius pool repair folks..... use DWV for skimmer lines...... You might be able to break more than you can fix. Not your fault, but.....

7. Back To Top    #7

Have you tried to advance the drain king or a hose from the pump end going "backwards" to see if that works?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Have you tried to advance the drain king or a hose from the pump end going "backwards" to see if that works?
    yeah I've tried both directions unfortunately.
    ~13000 inground plaster

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I'll bet you get it with that snake. Work it from both sides and you will break it up.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Just to update (Since I hate when people don't do that). I ended up having the local pool company come out and blast it with CO2. It took 4 tries to get it to clear as he ran down his tank to empty. Since it was a 'partial' clog it really didn't have enough resistance to blow it out it seems.. enough air got through the clog. The tech said its normally very obvious when it does it, he can feel the pressure build then suddenly clear. In this case it just blew like it was clear from the start. After the 4th try when he ran his tank dry we moved the valve back and the leaves finally came through. Whew! $100.. I guess I learned my lesson to put an in-line filter in and not suck the leaves through the pipes.
    ~13000 inground plaster

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Crimson, I followed that advise this year

48 bucks and works great Amazon.com : Zodiac Cyclonic Automatic Pool Cleaner Leaf Catcher Canister : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **