Two Different Fence Heights

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
Does anyone have a fence around their pool that has two different heights to it?

We have a four foot chain link around our entire pool. We wanted to replace one run of the fence with a 8' white vinyl fence. I'm wondering if that would be too drastic of a transition??

We'd like to replace the back portion of fence against the hill with the higher vinyl fence.

Fence.jpg

Has anyone done this type of thing? If so, Id like to see some pictures.

Thanks!
Dan

I think it all depends on where you want to put said white fence?

One advantage of what you have now is that black chain link fencing appears to disappear from view (unlike bare metal chain link). So you will be cutting into the view with white solid fencing but....it still might look good.

Have you considered putting trees back there instead?

Just my two cents but try to buy the more expensive vinyl fencing as the cheaper HD fencing can look flimsy and, excuse the expression, a little on the trailer trash side. I know some ppl have gone vinyl thinking low maintainable, etc, and end up very much regretting not having gone with wood. Also, stay away from the panels that are made in sections as you have to replace the whole section if damage occurs to just one vinyl plank.

You definitely need some blockage back there from the neighbors. My last house we put in some of the vinyl type fencing that looked like cedar and were happy with it. The stuff wasn't cheap and the wood version would be cheaper. I hate painting fences so that is why we went with it. You can put some bushes in front of it also to smooth the transition. That's what we had.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Honestly, both Lowes and Home Depots vinyl fencing are not quality fencing...they use three rails instead of two because the fence material is so thin. It looks good sitting in the shopping aisle racks but disappoint once installed. Lowes Freedom and Brighton fence lines are poorer quality than HD Arrowhead and their pricier Windham lines...(tho the HD lines are far superior than both the Lowes lines). Best to go with a non-big box store manufacturer via your local fence companies.

If it were me, I would greenscape for privacy. Two layers of tree/hedge and a few Freestanding Acurio panels interspersed for privacy/artistic punch.

Got CT, you should be able to get a number of upright arborvitae or juniper that can be hedged to 8'. You're correct that it will take one (maybe two) season to get full coverage but even the initial planting would make a difference.

Look at Green Giant arborvitaes. They get pretty big, so I'm not sure if there is enough space where you want to put these or not, but they grow very fast, and are very hardy. Deer resistant too. I planted some a few years ago, and they're literally growing 2-3 feet per year.

I too believe a white fence will strongly detract from the attractiveness of the landscaping that is on your property and what can be seen in that respect on the adjacent property. The alternatives referred to above would look really nice,...but if a fence is in your future, a darker color stained 5-6 foot board fence with a 18"-24" lattice extension would be my first choice, followed by a dark vinyl fence of the same configuration. Both would give a more appealing natural look over the starkness of a tall white fence erected on just the one side of your property.

Thanks for all the input. After reading these posts and thinking about it some more we decided to go the arborvitae route. Green giants would be way too tall for that space - blocking out some late day sun which we most certainly dont want to do. We're looking at Emerald Greens which seem to be the best solution.

'Emerald Green' Arborvitae is an ideal quick privacy fence. It keeps tight foliage, stays light green, and reaches a mature height of 12-feet. These characteristics make the tree a better option in some cases than the more commonly planted Thuja Green Giant. The Emerald Green is not damaged by snow, ice or deer. It is best planted three feet apart for an instant living fence.

Thanks for all the input. After reading these posts and thinking about it some more we decided to go the arborvitae route. Green giants would be way too tall for that space - blocking out some late day sun which we most certainly dont want to do. We're looking at Emerald Greens which seem to be the best solution.

'Emerald Green' Arborvitae is an ideal quick privacy fence. It keeps tight foliage, stays light green, and reaches a mature height of 12-feet. These characteristics make the tree a better option in some cases than the more commonly planted Thuja Green Giant. The Emerald Green is not damaged by snow, ice or deer. It is best planted three feet apart for an instant living fence.

I have some of those that we put in when the pool was built. I think they are a good choice over the green giants since the overall height will be limited, the negative is they do grow slower also. Ours were about 1 / 2 feet tall when they were put in approx 5 years ago, a couple are about 8' tall now and the others are about 6'. They are about 2' in diameter now, so the 3' spacing is good, I would stagger the row slightly.

I had 4 foot chain link fence with giant arborvitaes. It had already been there for years and works pretty well.

The only downside being that there were some thin areas where people could see through and if a windy day
ever happened I'd be filling wheel barrows full of dead arborvitaes leaves that had dumped into the pool.

Not sure about where you live but a lot of areas require a permit if you exceed 6' when fence building.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.