A year later, the ODK has started...

Oct 31, 2014
Kingwood, TX
A year after the pool was completed and our son was born, I have finally found the time and money to begin on the outdoor kitchen.

Finished product will be wrapped in Old Chicago brick to match the house with cedar lap on the inside. We originally were going to do concrete countertops but I think we have decided to stick with granite.

I went ahead and spent the money and laid Trex down between the metal studs and the concrete. As painful as it was to spend that much per board, it will keep the metal rust free for a long time.

Don't try to build a kitchen with metal studs by yourself on a windy day.... I think my neighbors were tired of hearing the noise of studs hitting the concrete.

Once you get a few screwed in it goes pretty fast. You have to start in one corner, get everything square, then move through the kitchen.

I screwed in some temporary cross members to keep everything square until the cement board goes on.

I will have two Weber grills in this ODK. The other one is in my garage waiting for me to remove the temporary cross member.

I finished running the electrical and blocked out for my cabinet openings.

My little helper is always around for a photo op. The plywood base is for all the stereo equipment. Currently, all of the outside speakers are controlled in the house. Once done, all of the outside music will be controlled by the ODK.

Added the overhang support for the counter tops. We wanted a large flat area where we could sit and talk, play cards / dominoes, and set up food and drink.

I remember that pool build, looks good! Your schedule sounds a lot like mine! Except maybe a little faster. :) Everything looks great! It is going to be a great summer!

As a fellow Kingwoodian, howdy neighbor! I remember your build too. Was sad to see the Koi pond go, but I am biased... ;-)

I am very JEALOUS of all that yard space!!!!! Our pool is eating up the last of the lawn space on the back side of the house...

The kitchen looks like it's off to a good start. Can't wait to see it progress.

plat.

I finally got back to work. I added the cement board for a little protection and a lot of strength.

Added some treated plywood to the the inside so I had something to nail into.

I went ahead and painted the plywood black, just in case I had some gaps in the cedar boards. I learned the hard way when I did a reclaimed wood wall in the house.

I couldn't help myself, had to fire up the Weber....

Started install on the cedar boards.

Put down 3/4" treated plywood to support the large overhang for the granite countertops.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a fellow Kingwoodian, howdy neighbor! I remember your build too. Was sad to see the Koi pond go, but I am biased... ;-)

I am very JEALOUS of all that yard space!!!!! Our pool is eating up the last of the lawn space on the back side of the house...

The kitchen looks like it's off to a good start. Can't wait to see it progress.

plat.

Hey!! I remember your build, did you ever get your pool done? I remember you were asking a few questions last year.

This part of Kingwood is a hidden gem.

- - - Updated - - -

That looks fantastic already!

Thanks!!!

- - - Updated - - -

I remember that pool build, looks good! Your schedule sounds a lot like mine! Except maybe a little faster. :) Everything looks great! It is going to be a great summer!

Thanks!! As Johnny Cash once sang...One Piece at a Time...

- - - Updated - - -

This is gonna be awesome!

Thank You!

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like a great site for the outdoor kitchen. In fact the whole yard looks wonderfully inviting! Good job. Keep up the pics please (you *know* we all loveee pics)

Yippee :flower:

Thank You, the yard takes soooo much work. Its nice being able to keep it up instead of recovering from a pool build.

I did find time to do a little work this weekend. I finished the end of the ODK; I added a louver to help with the venting. I also went ahead and sealed the cedar to help prevent water and sun damage.

I have a couple people coming out next week to give me quotes on the mason work. Anyone have any good mason contacts in the Houston area?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.