Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A year later, the ODK has started...

1. Back To Top    #1

A year later, the ODK has started...

A year after the pool was completed and our son was born, I have finally found the time and money to begin on the outdoor kitchen.

Finished product will be wrapped in Old Chicago brick to match the house with cedar lap on the inside. We originally were going to do concrete countertops but I think we have decided to stick with granite.

I went ahead and spent the money and laid Trex down between the metal studs and the concrete. As painful as it was to spend that much per board, it will keep the metal rust free for a long time.

Don't try to build a kitchen with metal studs by yourself on a windy day.... I think my neighbors were tired of hearing the noise of studs hitting the concrete.

Once you get a few screwed in it goes pretty fast. You have to start in one corner, get everything square, then move through the kitchen.

I screwed in some temporary cross members to keep everything square until the cement board goes on.

I will have two Weber grills in this ODK. The other one is in my garage waiting for me to remove the temporary cross member.

I finished running the electrical and blocked out for my cabinet openings.

My little helper is always around for a photo op. The plywood base is for all the stereo equipment. Currently, all of the outside speakers are controlled in the house. Once done, all of the outside music will be controlled by the ODK.

Added the overhang support for the counter tops. We wanted a large flat area where we could sit and talk, play cards / dominoes, and set up food and drink.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: A year later, the ODK has started...

This is gonna be awesome!
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like a great site for the outdoor kitchen. In fact the whole yard looks wonderfully inviting! Good job. Keep up the pics please (you *know* we all loveee pics)

Yippee
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

I remember that pool build, looks good! Your schedule sounds a lot like mine! Except maybe a little faster. Everything looks great! It is going to be a great summer!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

That looks fantastic already!
    16k gal, 380 sf, IG Adams Pebble Plus Galaxy Marble, CCP-520, 3 HP Intelliflo VS & 1 HP Whisperflo, IC60 SWG, 400k Master-Temp, 7' Spa, LED laminar (3), Dolphin Nautilus

6. Back To Top    #6

As a fellow Kingwoodian, howdy neighbor! I remember your build too. Was sad to see the Koi pond go, but I am biased...

I am very JEALOUS of all that yard space!!!!! Our pool is eating up the last of the lawn space on the back side of the house...

The kitchen looks like it's off to a good start. Can't wait to see it progress.

plat.
    Modern Geometric-ish Social Pool (4'-5'-4') ~13' x 47'. Sun shelf. Perimeter overflow spa. RiverFlow Swimjet. Dog ramp. "Bubble Lounge"
    Link to my patio build, completed 2013
    Link to my pool build, Aug '15 - Sep '16

7. Back To Top    #7

I finally got back to work. I added the cement board for a little protection and a lot of strength.

Added some treated plywood to the the inside so I had something to nail into.

I went ahead and painted the plywood black, just in case I had some gaps in the cedar boards. I learned the hard way when I did a reclaimed wood wall in the house.

I couldn't help myself, had to fire up the Weber....

Started install on the cedar boards.

Put down 3/4" treated plywood to support the large overhang for the granite countertops.

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks great,
    - do you plan on laying cement board down for the granite?
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by rodog123 View Post
    Looks great,
    - do you plan on laying cement board down for the granite?
    Didn't plan on it, is there a reason why you ask?

10. Back To Top    #10

Just curious, all the builds I've seen have used cement board then granite/tile on top.
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by rodog123 View Post
    Just curious, all the builds I've seen have used cement board then granite/tile on top.
    The ones I see using cement board are usually covering the bare aluminum frame, whereas this one is using plywood.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by platipus View Post
    As a fellow Kingwoodian, howdy neighbor! I remember your build too. Was sad to see the Koi pond go, but I am biased...

I am very JEALOUS of all that yard space!!!!! Our pool is eating up the last of the lawn space on the back side of the house...

The kitchen looks like it's off to a good start. Can't wait to see it progress.

plat.
    Hey!! I remember your build, did you ever get your pool done? I remember you were asking a few questions last year.

This part of Kingwood is a hidden gem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by napken View Post
    That looks fantastic already!
    Thanks!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I remember that pool build, looks good! Your schedule sounds a lot like mine! Except maybe a little faster. Everything looks great! It is going to be a great summer!
    Thanks!! As Johnny Cash once sang...One Piece at a Time...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smforte View Post
    This is gonna be awesome!
    Thank You!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Looks like a great site for the outdoor kitchen. In fact the whole yard looks wonderfully inviting! Good job. Keep up the pics please (you *know* we all loveee pics)

Yippee
    Thank You, the yard takes soooo much work. Its nice being able to keep it up instead of recovering from a pool build.

13. Back To Top    #13

Looks interesting. I'm watching to get ideas for my eventual ODK.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

14. Back To Top    #14

I did find time to do a little work this weekend. I finished the end of the ODK; I added a louver to help with the venting. I also went ahead and sealed the cedar to help prevent water and sun damage.

I have a couple people coming out next week to give me quotes on the mason work. Anyone have any good mason contacts in the Houston area?

15. Back To Top    #15

Looks great! What did you use to mount the Webers to the countertop?

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by raungst View Post
    Looks great! What did you use to mount the Webers to the countertop?
    These are the "Performer" kettles which already have steel tabs that mount to the cart. I just let those support the kettle.

17. Back To Top    #17

Looking awesome! Love the cedar
    2015 Build, Stonescapes Mini Pebble-Blue Sea, 46.5'x23', 9' deep, Paramount IFCS on steps and shelfs, 8' spa with spillover, Quartzite Flagstone Coping and Patio, 3" Suctions and Returns, 1 skimmer, 6 Jandy LED Watercolor lights, Baja Shelf w/ diving rock, 2x 2HP Jandy VS E-Pump, Jandy LXI 400K BTU Heater Cupro/Nickel exchanger, Cartridge Filter, Grotto/Waterfall/ Slide, Jandy SWG, I-aqualink 2.0

18. Back To Top    #18

Finally getting around to posting pictures..... I am making progress only a couple things left to do. I have to finish the cabinet doors and set the sink.

19. Back To Top    #19

NICE! I love the pic from the pool! SO nice!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks Kim. Once the sink and doors are finished and are bar stools come in, I am going to do one last photo shoot of the pool / kitchen area. Glad we are almost at the finish line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast