Pump On and Water Testing - Any Correlation?

Scoop

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2012
Dallas, TX
- Gunite CH Pool 15k Gal.

I have a question about the Pool Pump on time and the effect, if any, with standard water test results.

I usually test my pool water after the pump has been running about 5-6 hours.

I draw the water sample from about 12" below the surface, using the same sample location in the pool during the last several years.

If I changed my testing routine and tested the water after the pump has been running for a shorter time, say about 2-3 hours, will the results be affected?

I'm mainly interested in the FC and pH tests since I test those more frequently than CH, TA, CYA.

I'd say, "not enough information!" Really, though, I think 30 minutes of pump run time would be enough to mix things up. However, on the other hand, you might not be testing in an area with the highest turnover of water. Sadly, every pool has a point or points where the water is least mixed.

Per Pool School, FC, CC, and pH should be tested at least daily.

I agree, 30 min to an hour of pump run time should be plenty to allow the water to be thoroughly mixed. You can conduct an experiment that will help validate the mix time and that your pool volume is accurate by testing a couple of different locations, add chlorine and test those locations again at 30 min and 1 hour to see if you got the expected increase and verify that the chlorine is well mixed in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.