Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I add liquid chlorine to the chlorine tab dispenser?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I add liquid chlorine to the chlorine tab dispenser?

Hello, first time pool owner here (just built!), but been lurking around TFP since November. I am planning on using liquid bleach rather than the chlorine tabs/tube dispenser that came with my pool. Can I simply add the bleach to the tube dispenser? I worry about adding bleach directly to the pool, because of potential bleach spills on the deck, plaster discoloration, splashes on the tile, etc. And it just seems easier. Not sure how long it would take to dispense bleach from the tube, though, or whether this would be safe for the pool and equipment?
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I add liquid chlorine to the chlorine tab dispenser?

I add chlorine slowly in front of a return jet in my deepend. If I am adding a lot, I will brush the pool. Works for me. If I drip a little on the deck, I just get a bucket or two of pool water and swab it down.

I think adding chlorine to the chlorinator would be a pita if nothing else. Oh, and welcome!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Mark and welcome to TFP. I have two immediate concerns with trying to use the in-line chlorinator for liquid bleach:
    1 - Inconsistent or inaccurate dispensing. Not so sure that chlorinator dial will be able to provide the fine-tuned amount required.
    2 - Safety! If for any reason, anyone forgot and added trichlor tabs to the dispenser while there was bleach in there, that would not be good.

Typically folks will shop around for a dedicated liquidator/stenner pump for such applications. That's my initial thoughts. Others may have more details.

Nice to have you with us!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP and congrats on the new pool!

Good call on not chlorinating with pucks. Pouring bleach slowly into the pool in front of a return with the pump running is not very risky. With a 30k gallon pool you will most likely be adding adding a whole jug anyway. I always add a full jug then dip it in the water and partially refill it, swirl it arou d and empty it into the pool again to rinse out the jug.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I would worry about the canister and parts becoming brittle and degrading from adding bleach also.
    14.3k, 3 1/2-5 1/2, IG, Pebble Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, Jandy 4 cartridge, Jandy 2hp variable, Pentair 320 inline chlorinator fed by a Stenner, Polaris 280, K-2006 test kit, Built 9/13
    Fill water: TA=90, PH=70, CH=90

6. Back To Top    #6

I know I'm in the minority... And at the risk of being chastised for doing it , to me it's a no brainier. Slowly pour it directly in the skimmer. I don't believe for 1 second that it's harmful to any equipment and it's instantly distributed evenly throughout the pool. Seems foolish to pour it in front of a return. I won't however pour acid into the skimmer.
    Ok .....let me have it.
    Kris

Mod note: This is not the best way to add chlorine to your pool. It may cause harm to the pump and equipment. It is better to pour it in front of the return with the pump on.
    14x26 rectangle vinyl liner pool . 1.5 hp 2 speed tri star pump, 2 aqua genie skimmers , no main drain. 175 sq ft star clear cartridge filter. 200,000 btu hayward heater Tf-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, lol!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

The added chlorine level going into the skimmer can be harmful to the rubber parts in your plumbing, how much it will shorten the life of these components I will not say, but it is certainly not good for them, and a lot will depend on just how slowly you pour.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    The added chlorine level going into the skimmer can be harmful to the rubber parts in your plumbing, how much it will shorten the life of these components I will not say, but it is certainly not good for them, and a lot will depend on just how slowly you pour.
    Yup... That's what everyone has been told. Then they repeat it to others , and on and on....
    We're not supposed to use bleach to chlorinate are pool either.
    I'm in the northeast, I believe the sun and the cold do more harm to my equipment than chlorine that's diluted anyway by the time it gets to it.
    Kris
    14x26 rectangle vinyl liner pool . 1.5 hp 2 speed tri star pump, 2 aqua genie skimmers , no main drain. 175 sq ft star clear cartridge filter. 200,000 btu hayward heater Tf-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Folks, just to keep this thread on-track ... the OP was asking about adding bleach to their in-line chlorinator (tube) dispenser, not the skimmer. Somehow this discussion got a bit off-track. Just want to make sure the OP (MarkTX) gets good feedback for his original question. Thanks.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Can someone explain to me what is so difficult about adding it straight to the water in front of the return? If you put the bottle in the water so that the spout is only about an inch away and pour slowly it will not splash and the bottle will be rinsed of any potential residue. Unless you are pouring several feet above the water surface or pouring so quickly that it gurgles then this seems to be a non-issue. The simplest solution is to just pour it correctly, not to start dumping chlorine in places not designed for it.

As for "opinions", it is on the one giving advice to prove that it is safe advice, not on the rest of us to disprove it. If someone has no data to back up the advice given then they have no business getting insulted when it is removed. Using bleach to chlorinate can be proven to be no different than any other liquid chlorine products. If there is data showing that dramatically raising the pH and FC inside of a filtration system will cause zero damage to any part of the system then we would appreciate seeing that data.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

12. Back To Top    #12

It is pretty easy to add directly from the jug. I allow the jug to "float" in the water while I'm pouring, with the opening just above the water surface. The only problem I ever have is a leg cramp from time to time because I pour so slow...
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

13. Back To Top    #13

MarkTX, if you're still following your thread, you probably know by now that just about all TFP'rs simply add bleach directly to the water near a return jet(s). While there are exceptions at times, this is the case for most chemical additions. On occasion, pool owners may deviate slightly or have their own preferred method of dispensing, but for the most part you'll find that typically we advise to slowly pour near a return jet. This is generally very safe when done slowly and carefully, just like any chemical addition. Just in case you haven't already seen it, here is some more info from our Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool page.

As I noted in post #3, I would refrain from using the tab dispenser for adding liquid chlorine for the reasons noted in that post. If you have any other specific que4stions, please feel free to let us know. Have a nice day.

14. Back To Top    #14

Here is a handy page about adding all pool chemicals and what they do, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks for your responses. I will stick with adding bleach near a return. Floating the jug in the water should help me, in my particular case. A good idea.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

16. Back To Top    #16

Good choice. Sorry about your thread, buddy!

17. Back To Top    #17

I have an auto cover and after it rains with a lot of water on the cover even after the cover pump I will dump some chlorine in the skimmer instead of the time of getting the excess water off and opening the cover. I would go this route verses the auto chlorinator tube route. If you can just pour it in front of a return.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System