Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Heat pump advice needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Heat pump advice needed

My 18 year old heat pump failed the end of last season and I need a new one? Looking for recommendations on brand. I have a 20 by 40 IG in New Jersey that I keep the solar cover on when not in use. Would like the water 80-84 degrees. Typically have pool up and running the end of April and close the first week in October. The current unit is 80,000 BTU/Hr but would like something larger if possible. I say if possible as the current breaker for the heat pump in 40amp and the Pentair continuously variable pump is on a 20amp breaker. The breaker in the house is 50amps and the wire is #6. Suggestions welcomed.
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Heat pump advice needed

TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

I meant to come back to this thread. I think you will be fine if you change the house breaker to 60a and put a 50a breaker for the heat pump and get a 140k btu heat pump. All of Pentair's heat pumps work on 50a breakers. http://www.pentairpool.com/products/...t-pump-405.htm
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Think I have it narrowed down between an AquaCal and a Gulfstream - any opinions on these?
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

5. Back To Top    #5

No, not from me. Except I have heard of Aquacal and I haven't heard of Gulfstream. Quite a few people here have Aquacal heat pumps, hopefully they will chime in about how great they are.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach