Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acid washed concrete pool deck

1. Back To Top    #1

Acid washed concrete pool deck

Who has done this as do you like it? Do you have photos? Considering doing a light acid wash or Sundek. Our decks just got finished, light broom finish, a bit too slippery.

Thanks
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acid washed concrete pool deck

I don't think doing an acid wash after the concrete has cured for a few days (or longer) is really going to produce an immediate large noticable result. It sounds like a good idea, but it isn't as easy, or as immediate as it may seem.

My deck is exposed aggragate, and the "exposing" is done primarily by acid washing, rubbing with a broom and power washing the concrete while its still workable. After it was said and done, a few days later I noticed a few areas which really needed a bit more concrete removed between the pebbles. So I got me some muriatic acid and went after it. I scrubbed and scrubbed and even used full strength MA. It was not easy in the least! And it really didnt make any noticeable difference at all in my case and the concrete was only about a week old.

You can give it a try of course, maybe try a small inconspicuous spot to start and see if its worth it to you.

I know you arent going for exposing the aggragate, but still, I belive removing enough of the concrete to make it less slippery is going to be a chore.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3

Bummer, oh well par for the course with this project.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)

4. Back To Top    #4

The normal way to achieve an exposed aggregate finish is to apply retarder to the surface when it is being finished and then powerwashing the next day.

5. Back To Top    #5

I am also attempting to resolve light scuff marks on the surface of the some of the decking. the contractor states once cured they will no be visible, I have my doubts. they also said a light acid wash would provide a less slippery deck. Why do I have the feeling we are going to have to demo and re-pour some of the deck. The marks were caused by the hose dragging across the deck, they said not to worry and it's normal.

6. Back To Top    #6

Unless you used colored concrete for the pour, the marks WILL bleach out over time. Besides, the last thing you want is new concrete soaking up a bunch of acid. That never ends well . . .

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by BigEinAZ View Post
    Unless you used colored concrete for the pour, the marks WILL bleach out over time. Besides, the last thing you want is new concrete soaking up a bunch of acid. That never ends well . . .
    No color, just regular gray concrete. Well that's good news, you can't feel them, they appear to be just on the surface. I figured one cured the deck will be white and they would be gone, well at least I hope.